Wellness > Health

Fun Ways to Exercise at UT/in the Tampa Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Working out and staying healthy hasn’t always been the easiest for me. But since coming to college, I’ve learned that exercising and being healthy doesn’t always have to be the traditional go-to-the-gym-and-lift-weights type of workout. UT and the Tampa Bay Area have some fun classes/activities that will surely get your blood pumping all while having some fun. 

1. Zumba

I’m not much of a dancer. In fact, I can barely do TikTok dances because some are just too complicated! But going to Zumba with a friend or two (or even by yourself, I’ve done that too!) has changed that slightly. To be honest, it is my absolute favorite workout class at UT. Dance is a great way to work out and have fun. By the end of the class, you’ll be sure to have learned at least one or two new dances as well as have a few songs stuck in your head. I don’t know if UT is currently offering this class due to COVID-19, but if they are/as soon as they do, I definitely recommend trying it out. If you do, you’ll probably see me there making a fool out of myself with my lack of rhythm, but at least we’ll be having fun and getting fit! 

1. Cycling

Don’t be fooled with this class. Cycling may sound easy, but once you add weights it’s a whole other story. For this class offered by UT, it is super fun to go to with a friend or by yourself. The pumped-up music and the uplifting instructors definitely make the class have a positive and encouraging atmosphere. However, I do recommend that you pay attention in this class. Once the music starts going, you have to do the movements on beat. Not only does it make the class more fun (since you know what you’re doing), but it also makes the workout a lot easier when you know what to expect and when to expect it. This class will definitely leave your body a bit sore, but it’s totally worth it. 

1. Yoga in the Park/Goat Yoga

Yoga in the Park is usually held in Curtis Hixon Park (right across the river) and is free for everyone. This class is about 30 minutes to an hour long, and is very relaxing. I definitely recommend bringing a friend so you have somebody to walk to and from campus with to get to this class. Goat Yoga is another yoga activity that you can find in and around Tampa, however, it will cost some money. While Goat Yoga might not be as relaxing as Yoga in the Park, it’s definitely funny trying to do a downward dog pose while a goat is climbing on your back. Both of these yoga classes will hopefully help you find your inner zen – or at least help you destress just a little bit. UT also offers a few different yoga classes if you don’t want to pay or leave campus to do yoga. 

1. Walking/Running/Etc. on Bayshore

Bayshore Boulevard is known to be an active and busy sidewalk in Tampa. You’ll often find people walking, running, biking, rollerblading, etc. down the long sidewalk. It is one of my favorite ways to exercise due to its range of activities you can do there. In fact, certain parts of the trail have designated workout sports if you want to do pull-ups or some core training. My favorite thing to do is grab a friend and take a nice, brisk walk either in the morning or in the afternoon an hour or two before sunset; it usually isn’t super hot at these times plus it’s a great way to hang out with a friend! However, while you can technically walk to Bayshore from campus, I recommend driving and parking at one of the local parks along the shore because afterwards, you’ll be a little tired and probably not want to walk back (or if you’re like me, I usually get Dunkin’ right afterwards…oops). Overall, this is a great place to be active. And while you don’t technically have to wear a mask, I recommend doing so because it usually is busy and it’s always better to be safe than sorry! 

Hopefully this list of ideas will make you want to try a few new things here in the Tampa Bay area! It’s always a good thing to change your workout schedule every now and then. Even if you don’t like any of the activities I listed, at least you can say you tried them! I wish you the best of luck on your fitness journey and hope you can find some workouts you like! :)  

Anna is a new member of the Tampa chapter of Her Campus. Originally from Minnesota, Anna decided to explore more of the world and move to Tampa, Florida to further her education. She is currently a junior studying sports management and Spanish.