Food that Tastes Better on the Islands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Oyè I don’t know what they got in the US that we can’t do better en las islas, pero that’s me… or maybe there are things that do taste better. Let’s just jump right into it. 

1. Fruits

I mean this is a given. I tell you there is nothing like getting to say you have a mango tree in your backyard… having your younger cousins bring you limoncillos they picked as gifts… ah! I LIVE for it!

2. Chicken

Our chicken may be super clean, possibly filled with steroids, but 100% lacking flavor. And this is not because I began to fully notice this when I ate my grandmother’s soup. The broth was like no other. I remember asking her how much salt she added because the only other time I’ve had a soup taste so strong would be from the ramen and artificial flavors they used. 

3. Fish

(Not seafood as a whole). I don’t know where the hell we get our fish here in America, but nothing makes me feel better than knowing my meal was caught in the clear sea water outback. 

4. Coconut Water

Straight from a coconut baby, that’s how I like it! My grandma had a coconut tree growing up and sometimes after lunch when we’d wake up from an afternoon nap we’d go out back and hit the tree till one came down. We had to cut it down because of safety measures… more babies came into the family (a puppy too!), and coconuts fall out on their own once they’re ripe enough… which can get pretty dangerous. But we weren’t concerned there’s usually a coquero selling coconuts mid-afternoon. 

5. Ice Cream  

Or should I say Sorbetto? You know those street stands that sell ice cream/sorbet by tourist locations? Have you ever noticed how flavorful it is? Well, this might be a given due to the accessible fresh fruit. It could also be because anything cold and fruity taste wayyy better when you know you’re on vacation. 

Are you from an Island and live or have come to the US? What are some things you think tastes better on the Islands? Do you agree with the things I mentioned?

Share your thoughts in the comments down below or reach out to me in my social media handles! 

Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely