Life > Experiences

Five Ways I Get In The Fall Mood While Living In Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

As a Brazilian, it was hard for me at first to understand the hype around the fall season in the U.S. That only changed when I moved to Morgan Hill, California, for a year in high school. North California is beautiful during the fall, but to my disappointment, Florida — where I attend college — doesn’t change much during these months. Yes, it’s gorgeous in a paradisaic sort of way, but unfortunately, not in a very autumnal way. The thing about the sunshine state is that the weather is either super hot and humid or somewhat dry and chilly. 

However, after accepting the lack of color change, I decided not to be sad about it for too long. After all, there are still a lot of ways to get in the autumn spirit, even without not seeing the season unfold in front of our eyes. So, here are some ways I get excited about fall even though I live in Florida, and you can do too:

Watching autumnal and Halloween-themed movies

I’m not the biggest horror fan, as I’m a bit of a scaredy cat. However, I love both thrillers and non-scary movies. Some of my favorite movies to watch around this time are Harry Potter, Hocus Pocus, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and any other Tim Burton-esque movie. I also love rewatching episodes of Gilmore Girls as the show encapsulates the spirit of all seasons, including fall, so well. 

Grabbing hot drinks at Starbucks, and enjoying everything pumpkin-flavored

I was never that fond of pumpkin stuff, but I can say that it’s finally starting to grow on me. As both a coffee and tea lover, I enjoy chillier days in Florida because they are a perfect excuse for me to grab a warm drink at Starbucks. The coziness I get from that is on a new level and it brightens up my mood instantly. Besides a good pumpkin spice latte here and there, I also enjoy having a piece or two of pumpkin or pecan pie. The food is one of the main reasons I love Thanksgiving, and I can’t wait for it.

Going to fall events

Pumpkin patches, corn mazes, spooky events, food festivals, and so much more can be expected every autumn season. I can safely say that there’s something for people of all ages to enjoy this magical time. Even though I’m not as lucky as Americans to be near my family, I still think the best event of the season is Thanksgiving. Is there anything better than talking about everything and everyone we are grateful for while having a feast? Not in my books!

Writing or reading books while staying warm

As a published writer, I am always searching for inspiration for new stories. For that reason, I plan to take on the challenge of writing my second book this fall and join people across the US for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in November to make that happen. And if you don’t write, you can join me in spirit and cozy up with a book or two. There are so many new releases during the autumnal months, especially for thriller fans like me. 

Bringing Out The Warmer Clothes

After months of warm weather, it’s finally time to change your wardrobe and have your cozier outfit options out. The jackets, sweaters, pants, boots, and hats are about to make their comeback after months of isolation in the back of the closet. You can even change up your style and get a classier vibe. Or you can follow my lead and just try to be comfortable and stay warm at the same time. Sometimes those outfits aren’t Instagram-worthy, but who cares?

25, Sagittarius, Brazilian. University of Tampa 2022’ English teacher, writer, and journalist I'm a language geek, adventure seeker, and bookworm. g.maistrobrasolin@spartans.ut.edu