This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Stepping out of my comfort zone is definitely something that is not easy for me. Ever since I was little I was always super shy and didn’t have much confidence to try new things. When I started becoming more interested in music at a young age it was a big game-changer for me. Music helped me gain the confidence I needed to break out of my shell and become the best I can be.     

So my musical journey is a little different than your average story. I started singing when I was in the fifth grade, but I kept it a secret from my parents, family, and friends. Whenever I wanted to practice singing I would always wait until I was the only one in the house.

In the seventh grade, I became more confident and started singing around some of my closest friends and joined the chorus as well. My friends encouraged me to do small singing parts for class but it wasn’t until the eighth grade when I had my big break.

There was a big talent show at my school and my friends had encouraged me to sign up for it. At first, I was hesitant and thought no way, but after thinking it over I thought it’s now or never. I actually never told my parents until the day of the talent show that I was going to perform! I called from school to ask if they would be coming, they were both hesitant as to why I would join the talent show knowing how shy I was. But being the kind, caring, and supportive parents they are, they both came to the school and made sure they had their cameras ready.

When it was my turn I walked over to the microphone and was ready to sing “Someone Like You” by Adele. A couple of verses into the song I looked over at my parents and saw the complete shock on their faces. They had no idea I could sing. It was also in that moment halfway through the song that I had realized this is what I was born to do. I had forgotten about everyone else in the room, all 500 people. I had gotten lost in the music for a moment, it was something I will never forget. Once I finished the song I looked over at my parents who were crying with joy, they had no idea I could sing at all.

Before I was in the talent show, people knew me as the quiet girl. Now I am known as the girl who can sing, the one who may win a Grammy one day. After that, I started practicing more because I wasn’t afraid to sing in front of anyone. I had realized that I can do anything I set my mind to. My confidence was back.

With the newly found passion in hand, I also picked up the guitar and piano along the way. In high school, I did smaller shows at restaurants and other talent shows. I even got the chance to audition for The X-Factor, American Idol, and The Voice! After I graduated high school, I took a break from performing live to focus more on school, but that still hasn’t stopped me from putting the mic down.

Music has become such a big part of my life and I am forever grateful that I took that chance to break out of my shell to show the world what I can do. Through music, I was able to find the confidence I needed to achieve any goal I set for myself big or small.

Hello! My name is Jessica Scott and I am a recent graduate of The University of Tampa with a bachelor's in Marketing. I love to create websites for small companies, but I also have a big passion for writing. I'm from New Hampshire originally but moved down to Florida for the warm weather and school, and I have loved every minute of it here!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson