Featured Organization: Indian Cultural Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The University of Tampa is home to students from over 140 countries. Several international organizations help these students with the transition to making their university experience the best it can possibly be. This article sheds a little spotlight on the Indian Cultural Association (ICA), a diverse organization committed to serving as a gateway for all students to learn and explore the essence of Indian Culture.

What is ICA? ICA (Indian Cultural Association) seeks to unite and promote Indian culture throughout campus. ICA has been active for over 5 years and has had several events, including freshman meetups and movie nights. We currently have over 100 members!  

What type of events do you host? Annually, we host two major events. The first is Diwali, the festival of lights. This usually takes place in the middle of the Fall semester, where we have Indian food, Bollywood performances, and henna artists come in and showcase their talents. Holi, the other major event, takes place in the spring semester. It involves the throwing of powdered color amongst students to symbolize the spring season. Many students enjoy it as it resembles the popular “color run”.

Why should I join? If you’re interested in learning more about a new culture, join us! We are a club with no annual dues, and our events are free to all UT students, faculty, and staff. ICA is a wonderful way to broaden your horizons and connect with students of other disciplines.  

What are your future plans? We plan on chartering vans to events in the Tampa Bay Community such as India Festival of Tampa Bay. This event has over 10,000 attendees! Additionally, we plan on collaborating with USF’s Indian Student organization and partnering with local restaurants to generate student discounts.

Maya Patel is a pre-dental student at the University of Tampa. She loves to travel and open her eyes to the world around her, whether it is through reading, meeting new people, or learning about new cultures.