Function of Beauty
Function of Beauty
Original photo by Madeleine Bokan / Original Illustration for Her Campus Media

Easy Ways to Start Incorporating Clean Products Into Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Clean living has been a trending topic for quite some time now, and well it has been for good reason, it can be an extremely daunting task at first to figure out where to start incorporating these things. When I think of clean products I think of brands that have minimal ingredients, minimal chemicals, are very open about their labeling, and most of all are using ingredients that come from nature that most of us immediately recognize when we see the name on the bottle. While we’re seeing this more and more, many people don’t understand why it would be important to start making the switch. Many of the products we use in our daily lives have a high number of ingredients, many of them containing carcinogens and so if we can slowly start to work towards adding more clean products into all aspects of our lives, from the kitchen, to the bathroom, to our beauty routines, we can feel better about doing right by ourselves and the environment. Below are some tips on how one can get started into making the switch to incorporating cleaner products into their lives, whether it be one item or a big change! 

1. Swap out your hand soap, dish detergent, and spray cleaners for natural brands. 

Within the kitchen we use these products every day and they come in contact with the area in which we prepare food. Since a lot of us spend a lot of time in the kitchen it’s nice to feel good about what we’re putting on our hands, dishes, and surfaces. There are so many great brands that have product lines with a cleaner label. Some of my favorites are Seventh Generation, Method, and Mrs Meyers; all of which can be found at target. 

2. Make your shower a cleaner place.

Something we tend to overlook when thinking about more natural products are shower products, something that comes in direct contact with so much of our body! Making little changes to things like your shampoo, conditioner, and body wash are easy changes to make and will still do wonders on your hair and skin. Some of the brands I love for these products are Love, Beauty & Planet and Everyone. You can also make your own body salt scrub, which is as simple as mixing epsom salt, coconut oil, and your favorite scented essential oil! 

3. Add some clean beauty brands to your skincare routine. 

More and more now many brands are turning towards cleaning ingredients and new entirely clean brands pop up, giving us lots of wonderful options to elevate our skincare routine without breaking the bank. So many brands have clean products in all different categories ranging from face washes, to serums, to moisturizers. Some of my favorite brands are Origins, Versed, and Caudalie. Sephora even has their own section on their website that has all of their clean brand labels sorted out to make your life easier with just one click! 

I hope you find these tips helpful! If you take away anything from this article, take away that the products many of us are using aren’t bad, but that using more natural products has great benefits to our health and the environment and are easy to incorporate into our daily lives.

International Business and Marketing major at the University of Tampa!
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely