Election Hero Images?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Election Hero Images?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
HCM Design

Do Not Throw Away Your Shot!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Voting is a civic responsibility that we should be grateful to be able to do. It took a lot of time to assure everyone had the right to vote. So, this is not the time to waste it by not taking part in the election. I overheard an interview the other day and this woman was speaking about being undecided on whether she should or should not vote in the 2020 election, but when she was talking to her Uber driver he was telling her how excited he was to finally be able to vote. This made her realize how lucky she was to be able to vote as an American citizen. I think more people need to know just how lucky they are to have the choice to choose who they want in office. 

When you vote, you’re using your voice to say what you want. So, if you want change, then vote. I understand that politics can be very confusing, but we need to get ourselves educated in it. I wasn’t really involved in politics until I turned 18 and I was able to cast my first vote in the 2016 election. Ever since then, I got more interested in politics by reading news articles, listening to NPR, and watching the news. Also, remember to be involved in your local politics as well because they are just as important! 

If someone tells you not to vote, please do not listen to them because your vote does matter. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a grassroot funded new candidate up against a well known politician and won the 14th district of New York because people voted. So, remember your vote does lead to change. We need voters to think about others while voting. Voting doesn’t just affect you, but others as well. We need to ask questions like, Who will help our country be better? Who will help us in a pandemic? Who will be able to live in the country under certain leadership? There are so many important factors to think about while voting. We need to come together to create change. So, please help and create the change that the world needs right now.

Quick tips before voting: 

1. Check your registration ASAP. In FL, we have until October 5th to register to vote, but check what your local states deadline is. Here’s a helpful link to check everything out! https://iwillvote.com 

2. Make sure to check where you will vote, if voting in-person. Or make sure to send in vote-by-mail ballots 14 days early to ensure it gets there on time. 

3. Don’t forget to bring a valid ID, hand sanitizer, a mask ( if going to your local polling center), and don’t forget to social distance while on line (and don’t leave, even if they claim “to be closed”. You have the right to be there and vote!). 

Let’s make the world better.

Naomi is a Senior Musical Theatre major at The University of Tampa. Her dream career is working in Film, TV, and Broadway. Currently, she resides in Florida, but hopes to live on the West Coast after graduating. She would also love to visit Oaxaca, MX, where she is from. In her free time, she enjoys drinking iced coffees, walking her dog with her family, and watching Netflix.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson