This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

I learned this word before I could spell before I could read

Maybe it wasn’t my first, or my hundredth, but it has stuck with me 

In hospital beds and waiting rooms I am constantly reminded

That my body has been fighting against me since the moment I was born

I have not had your privileges of childhood birthday parties and sports teams

I have had to learn lessons at eight most people still don’t understand at twenty

Einstein said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

If that is true then I am one insane bitch

Because every day I wake up and I fight

I fight my body, the one thing that is always supposed to support me

But I go to school and I work hard

I make my family and myself proud

I do not give my teachers any reason to doubt me, my skills, or my intelligence

When I had lost nearly all else I had my brain

My wonderful, weird brain that has struggled with illnesses as real as the ones that hurt my stomach and kidneys

So in those hospital beds and waiting rooms I read and I learned 

I knew that I would have to make up what I lacked physically with my intelligence

I refused to be weak, and sick, and to give a single person a reason to call me stupid

They still did but I got through it, because I knew they would one day learn my lessons

So here I stand today, a little broken, a little tired, and always chronically ill

But accomplished, intelligent, and an advocate for those who know these truths, even when they themselves cannot speak them.   

Anne is a sophomore at UT studying journalism and creative writing. Her interests are young adult fiction, makeup, fashion, and social justice advocacy.
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson