This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Have you ever hopped off an 8 foot car garage? I have. In the center of my backyard was a giant oak tree. I would climb to the roof of the garage and swing from the branches like Tarzan because my childhood imagination ran rampant with countless possibilities. I was not bound by the crippling limitations of societal pressures. I never imagined I could fall, because in that exact moment, I soared. Unfortunately, the younger me was unaware that life awaited her and that she would fall not once, but an infinite amount of times.

Life is hectic. Often, I find myself lost in the whirlwind of challenges instead of being appreciative of the numerous opportunities within my grasp. I belong to a variety of communities; I’m an on-campus resident assistant, a community volunteer, part-time tutor/babysitter, and a full-time student taking 19 credits. Maintaining the responsibilities of them all drives me insane. If I learned anything from my experiences, is that it’s important to find the calm in the storm because no matter the circumstances, there is always something to be grateful for.

As an aspiring pediatric occupational therapist I was afforded the chance to intern with St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital and this experience unearthed my deepest flaw. Indecisiveness. Uncertainty surrounded the career path I’d chosen, and this realization felt like the steepest fall of my collegiate career. But I discovered there are times to soar and explore adventurous avenues and there are times to remain grounded, weather the storms, and soak up all the opportunities to flourish and grow. That remembering the bigger picture is a little push to help get you through all the responsibilities and opportunities life hands you.

Instead of leaping off garages I’m now taking leaps of faith. As I step into my senior year at the University of Tampa, I intend to continue volunteering with new organizations and devoting time to the variety of avenues presented to me on my journey. I’ve found my peace of mind through the chaos, and as you step into your new semester I hope you can do the same.

Hi, I'm Courey! My passions lie in the heart of writing and social justice. I crave adventure and hope that my creativity and experiences spills over into my pieces for Her Campus. Much love :)
Emely is a rising junior at The University of Tampa. She studies advertising and PR with a focusing on digital marketing. When she isn't bumping to J Cole, Drake or Aventura she's reading up on anything astrological, or editing photos for her food IG. As a New York City native, she loves exploring the cities micro-neighborhoods for their cuisine, music, and fashion. If you want to know more about Emely, follow her on Instagram - @aemiliatertia - or Twitter - @ThatEmely