A College Girl’s Guide to Productivity: 10 Ways to Take Control of Your Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Being in college is a juggling act of sorts. You’re expected to not only ace all of your classes but also have a social life. The thought of handling all these tasks can be overwhelming and leave you feeling defeated before your four-year journey has begun. But rest assured and take a breather! These 10 time management tips along with some insight from Janice Law, the director of the Academic Success Center at UT, are sure to help with the busy workload.

1. It’s not about time. It’s about energy.

Sleep, food, and exercise are an integral part of staying productive throughout the day. Combined they increase your focus, motivation, and energy levels. A 2011 study performed by Swedish researchers at Stockholm University found that exercise improves productivity, work capacity, and lessens your chances of getting sick. Also, make sure to find time to eat three meals per day. Your stomach will thank you!

2. Plan to the very end.

Go to your campus’ school store and buy a planner. Keeping an agenda is an efficient way to keep track of your assignments and important deadlines. Planning ahead will also give you an ample amount of time to prepare for any major tests or projects that you may have coming up. “Planning is key,” Law says. “But not every method works for everybody. So, you have to find the method that works for you.”

3. Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize.

Start your day by creating a to-do list. Put the important tasks at the top, even if they’re things that you’re dreading, and tackle them first. Make sure to also include activities that you want to do on your list too, so you have items you’re looking forward to. A great way to stay motivated is to reward yourself if you accomplish everything on your list.

4. STOP procrastinating.  

Do not wait until the night before a project is due or an exam is set to take place. In doing so, you’ll only be adding more stress onto your plate. If you have some free time on your hands, plan accordingly and use it to your advantage.

5. DISCONNECT.

Turn your phone off or put it on silent. A 2013 study by Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers found the average user checks their phone approximately 150 times per day! By disconnecting, you’ll be able to avoid any interruptions at all costs. Also, It’s okay to go missing from the social media sphere every once in a while, especially when you have more important things to take care of. A 2013 study revealed that over a quarter of our time – 27 percent – is spent on social media sites. In the US, 16 minutes of every hour is spent on social networking. Now, just think if you applied that same amount of time to your studies; college could easily be a walk in the park.

6. Learn to say NO.

It’s OK to say no if what is being asked of you conflicts with your own schedule. Learn to put yourself FIRST. This means putting your priorities first as well. Learning to say no is imperative when it comes to maintaining a schedule that fits your needs.

7. Divide and Conquer.

Break up larger projects like research papers, presentations, and cumulative finals into manageable chunks. This way you’re able to work on the project little by little and it isn’t overwhelming. In addition, spread the number of hours you work on the project over the course of a few days. Law suggests that students study for no more than 2 hours with a sizeable break in between. “The human brain absorbs information and most importantly has to process that information in order for us to remember it,” she said.

8. Determine whether you’re an owl or a rooster.

Are you a morning person or a night person? In determining this, you’ll be able to plan your studying for times when you’ll be most engaged. “It’s important that you know yourself,” Law says. “If you are a morning person don’t fool yourself and say I’ll study up until midnight. You’re not going to be at your optimum.”

9. Don’t get paralyzed by perfection.

Being a perfectionist can be costly especially when it comes to staying on task. Alternatively, you should seek out the help of a friend or professor to review the assignment you’ve been working on. For instance, instead of spending hours on the intro for your research paper stop by the Saunders Writing Center and have a staff member help you brainstorm some ideas for your opening paragraph.

10. Learn to make time for yourself.

The most important tip of them all! Finding down time in your schedule is essential for your well-being. Whether you choose to grab lunch with friends or indulge in a pedicure, “me” time is invaluable and goes a long way when you’re feeling stressed or overwhelmed.

Sources: 1, 2