This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Homebodies say no to a night of drinking with friends at a bar, but do they say no to a theater night? I’m not sure… you tell me, but I know that I am always down to put comfy PJs on, sneak in candy, and see a brand new movie in the best place to watch them.  

Ever since the pandemic, theater attendance rates have been at a low, but each year, they make gradual progress. A new fun campaign or big film comes out every year that grabs the attention of social media users who create trends like “Barbenhiemer” videos, the Saltburn (2023) dancing trend, and Miles Teller. Yes, just the man himself broke the internet for being beautiful in the new Top Gun: Maverick (2022). These trends give the theaters hope to gain their popularity back and not make a classic entertainment experience go out of business. 

You may be thinking that theaters have no chance of making it in the future since streaming services and platforms have been making watching movies cheaper; however, theaters are becoming a place for people to get a great experience out of. 

Yes, an average movie ticket is around $12, but you’re paying for the atmosphere, the big screen, the sound, and the comfy chairs. Other than AMCs or Regals, there are other kinds of theaters that give an even more extravagant experience.

THEATERS YOU CAN EAT AT

You can eat at all theaters… right? Of course, but some serve fresh, hot meals from the kitchen right to your leather reclining chair. This could be an expensive option, but it is totally worth it. What’s better than a movie and dinner?

Cinebistro

Instead of going to the AMC, maybe try one dine-in movie theater right in Tampa! Choose your movie, bring friends, order food or maybe even a drink, and have a great viewing experience.

HISTORIC THEATERS

There are two historic theaters right here in Tampa! If you are a history buff, then what is better than watching a classic film in a historic place? Nothing.

Tampa Theatre

If you haven’t been to this historical landmark of Tampa yet, please do yourself a favor and buy a ticket now. The Tampa Theater was built in 1926 as a theater that truly brought its audience to a new world. You watch classic and new films on the stage while the night sky and the grand movie palace architecture engulf you. 

Straz Center for the Performing Arts

Believe it or not, the Straz Center actually has FIVE theaters, and you can see all types of performing arts productions like orchestras, musicals, ballet, and more. I saw Batman (1989) in Concert there, and it was an amazing movie experience!

Escape reality and support your local theater, not your couch. It is about the experience, and I believe that the atmosphere of being at the theater is priceless.

“Every time I go to a movie, it’s magic, no matter what the movie’s about.”

Steven Spielberg
Alexis Duffy is the President and Senior Editor at the Her Campus at Tampa chapter. She writes and edits articles as well as managing the chapter at Tampa. Her articles cover entertainment and lifestyle topics focusing on films and traveling. Outside of Her Campus, Alexis is a senior at the University of Tampa, double majoring in Communication, Media & Culture, and Advertising & Public Relations. She is currently an part time employee at the Tampa Bay Arts & Education Network, where she works on media projects and shadows in the tv studios helping with production. Alexis enjoys art, adventures, film, and traveling during her downtime. She often finds herself going down a rabbit hole when watching videos about the production of a movie, interviews, and fun facts about cinema. Alexis always seems to have her phases, whether it’s a Harry Potter marathon or watching The Dark Knight Trilogy.