6
6
Photos courtesy of Shein
Style

Cheetah: Fierce Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Cheetah print clothing has been an iconic piece for many women and even men to have in their wardrobe throughout the decades. However, what you may not know is that in each decade the animal print had a different meaning behind it. For example, in the 1930s cheetah print carried the meaning of being “adventurous, exciting, and attractive” and in the 1940s the fur look demonstrated a strong, fierce, and independent look. In the 1950s, Christian Dior made an entrance into the wonderful world of animal print with a classy touch. As the hippies emerged from the 1960s, cheetah gained a new meaning of “exotic and out there”. Then, as we entered the 1970s, animal print, especially cheetah, gained a funky flare. 

As you can see, cheetah is a timeless piece of fashion, but as the years go on it grows, too. Cheetah print follows trends along with important movements happening in the world that are continuing today. People may stop wearing cheetah for a bit, however this timeless accent in fashion will never die due to its ever-changing meanings. 

P.S. Faux cheetah is in & real fur is out. 

Source: https://u.osu.edu/clotheslines/2018/11/16/the-history-behind-animal-prints/#:~:text=However%2C%20before%20it%20became%20a,the%20speed%20of%20that%20cheetah

Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson