Campus Celebrity: Breanna Lewis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Watch out UT, Breanna Lewis is taking over! This Georgia peach is equipped with a poised demeanor and an ambitious heart. These attributes recently won her the title of the 2014 Miss Phi Beta Sigma. Here, she showcased her theatrical passion for the entire campus to witness first hand. This week, she is being crowned Campus Celebrity. 

From the instant Lewis stepped foot onstage she knew the spotlight suited her. Ever since middle school, Lewis has been intrigued with the art of theatre. “If no one paid me I’d probably still do it,” she says.

Lewis certainly looked like a natural on stage, sashaying around in her white goddess-like dress at the Miss Phi Beta Sigma pageant held here on campus. “I enjoyed the talent because acting is my passion,” said Lewis.

Breanna spreads herself across a broad spectrum of interests, along with keeping up her GPA as an international business and marketing major and speech and theatre minor. As President of Black Student Union (BSU), Lewis proudly serves her African American community and strives to build upon the attributes she holds dearly to her heart.In addition, Lewis is an active sorority sister of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, she is an R.A. in McKay and a big sister for Big Brother Big Sister.

With all of these commitments, a queen must have a plan to keep it all together. Like any celeb, the job comes with its challenges.

“Honestly, (it takes) lots of prayer and no sleep.  You know one of my friends said it’s between grades, sleep,or a social life. Let’s just say I picked my two,” said Lewis.

It is apparent that Lewis’ smile and bubbly laughter embrace everyone that surrounds her. Personally, she describes herself as ambitious, a visionary, and humble. 

“I’d say a visionary, because you can’t live life without dreams. For me, my dreams are my ambition and they help drive me, so I think those go hand in hand. I’d say humble, because it’s still amazing to me everyday how much God has blessed me and my family,” said Lewis. 

The world of Lewis is filled with a multitude of dreams. This summer she will fulfill one of her life long pursuits of traveling to a different country, as she tours Europe with her Chemistry and Art travel course.  Eventually, Lewis would like to join the Peace Corps and travel to South Africa or Costa Rica.

“I think the world has so many cultures and knowledge that we can pick up on and absorb and learn from. We shouldn’t just be in our own bubble,” said Lewis.

Her greatest dream leads back to theatre. Ultimately, Lewis would like to be a director of marketing for a theatre company–possibly her own.

Breanna Lewis is a star in our eyes. Being this week’s Campus Celebrity is only another trophy to add to her cabinet of accolades. For those of you who want to be successful here on UT campus, listen to this Celebrity advice. 

“UT is great and it has a lot of really good opportunities, but you really have to be patient and willing to delve into those opportunities. You have the opportunity to make a name for yourself here. We are small so seize every opportunity and that’s how I’ve gotten where I am today.”

Daina is a junior at the University of Tampa pursuing a degree in Journalism. Daina has loved writing from a the time she was a little girl. She is happy to have traded in the cold winters of her native state of Minnesota for the sunny beaches of the Tampa Bay area. When she is not hitting the pavement in search of her next story for class, Her Campus, or UT's newspaper, The Minaret, she has another set of interests. Chances are you will find Daina spending time with her family. Or she will be in the studio performing sun salutations, as she is a newly initiated yoga addict. Like most college students her age, Daina is engaged in the social media world, her favorite platforms are Pinterest and Tumblr. In the future, Daina aspires to be the Editor-In-Chief of a women's health magazine.