This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Coming from a state which experiences all four seasons (to the extreme) to Florida, a state which is basically summer all year round, can be a bit of an adjustment. For me, it’s mostly a positive experience, since I get cold really easily and am terrified of icy sidewalks after I wiped out one morning on my way into school. I’m sure once we go back for winter break I’ll wish I were right back in the FL heat, but as my family back home is experiencing the start of Autumn, I’m getting a little bit of FOMO. But why should being in the warmest state in the country prevent me from sweater weather and fall festivities? Here’s what I’m doing to bring a little fall to Florida:

Wear your sweaters and jeans anyways! Okay, maybe an oversized sweater and a cute pair of jeans together will cause heat stroke while walking to class, but pair them with something weather appropriate for a similar effect. I like to pair my favorite jeans with a tank top or t-shirt and throw a cardigan in my bag for when I get inside (one thing’s for sure: the AC is crazy here). Likewise, I might pair some shorts with a baggy sweater. If you’re planning on spending the day inside, just blast the AC and wear the whole package. 

Watch Autumnal TV shows and movies. Nothing says fall like transporting yourself to Stars Hollow by watching a little Gilmore Girls. Or maybe you’re partial to Halloween movies, like Hocus Pocus, or a horror film. The first few Harry Potter movies are guaranteed to make you crave pumpkin juice at Hogsmeade or the Halloween feast in the Great Hall. 

Play festive music to get in the spirit! This doesn’t necessarily mean holiday music (although I have been alternating between Halloween and Christmas music for the past month). Look up an Autumn playlist or make your own out of songs that remind you of cooler weather. For maximum “fall in Stars Hollow” effect, look up a Gilmore Girls themed playlist (yeah, they exist and immediately take you back to the leaves changing). 

Get some cute decorations to put up in your dorm room or apartment! Target has a huge selection, especially in the “Dollar Spot”. A few dollars worth of felt pumpkins are a sure way to set the mood. If you are in a dorm that doesn’t allow candles, a fall staple, try a diffuser with fall scents. Or if you’re playing Mother Nature on a budget, try printing out some aesthetic autumn pictures from Pinterest to create a small gallery on your wall. 

Lastly, what is autumn without the hot drinks and festive food? While you might not be able to make it to the apple orchard this year, apple cider mix is pretty close to the real thing. Or look on Pinterest for some microwavable treats to make in your dorm! If you’re able to get to Trader Joes, they always have the best assortment of affordable pumpkin spice flavored everything! I’d encourage everyone to try the pumpkin spice pretzel slims (warning: they’re highly addictive). 

Although the weather channel and all known science would disagree with this, autumn is more a mentality than everything else. You can’t change the 80 degree weather, but you could put on a sweater and suffer through it, just to bring back your favorite season. 

Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson