Breast Cancer Awareness Month: Why Its So Much More Than Just “Think Pink”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, and at this point in history, everyone either knows someone who has or had breast cancer, be it male or female. Besides lung cancer, breast cancer has the highest death rate of any cancer in women.  The rate in women is 1 in 8, as opposed to the 1 in 1,000 rate for men.

There are numerous foundations looking for donations to fund research groups who are spending an ample amount of time trying to find a cure for this heart breaking disease. These include:

Save The Ta-tas

Keep-A-Breast (I Love Boobies)

Susan G Komen

Avon Foundation

…among many others. And while donations alone are all fine and good, (I am by no means saying don’t donate to these wonderful foundations!), there is more that we as simple people can do to help raise awareness and keep the world breast cancer free.

Step One: Perform An Exam On Yourself

Get to know your own body and the way things are. The only way that you can notice something is wrong is to know what is normal and what is not.

Step Two: Spread The Word

Encourage others, male and female alike, to perform routine breast exams as well. You never know, you may save someone’s life.

Step Three: Find A Foundation You Support

Whether it be one of the many above or a completely different one, find a foundation who’s views and plans you admire and agree with. Make sure that whichever one (or two!) you’re donating money to has a business plan that you’re 100% okay with funding.

Step Four: Become An Ambassador

Print flyers, organize events, hold talks and presentations. Don’t think you can do anything that big? No worries. Just support the organization to the fullest that you can. Show people why you care so much about the foundation you chose and invite others to support the cause.

Step Five: THINK PINK!

Be an icon. Wear pink all October, not just October 3rd. Hell, wear pink all year long if you want.

Remember, that while Breast Cancer Awareness month may only be a month, the mothers, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, daughters, and friends that have lived with this disease and continue to live with this disease are fighting a constant battle. Rest In Peace to those who weren’t so lucky, and keep fighting to the survivors. Join Her Campus UT, Fight Like A Girl, and Think Pink this October. 

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

**currently on hiatus for the Spring '15 semester, return date is unknown** ************************************************************************* Nikee, 20, sophomore at the University of Tampa. Former HC UT vice president, 2014-2015 Former HC UT Social Media Director, 2013-2014