Behind the Scenes of Her Campus: Kyetra S. Bryant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Have you ever wondered who is behind the scenes of Her Campus UT? Each week we will be featuring a different Her Campus UT member, so be on the lookout! 

Name: Kyetra Bryant

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Journalism with an International Studies certificate

Minors: Spanish and New Media Production

Birthplace: Burglengenfeld, Germany

Hometown: N/A  (Army Brat problems!)

Her Campus Position: Social Media Director, Staff Writer

What is your favorite part of Her Campus? Why did you decide to join? I decided to join Her Campus because I love to write! It was always something I was good at, and I think great writers are always willing to get more experience that will allow them to grow. My favorite part of Her Campus is being apart of a team that strives to better our campus. We have a lot of freedom to be creative and express ourselves.

What has been the most rewarding part of being on this team? The excitement and seeing our hard work pay off. There’s a lot of chapters on campuses worldwide; we certainly aren’t a large school either, but being able to hit the front page of the Nationals website multiple times proves that even a small team can do wonders.

What is a quote you live by? “Let your past make you better, not bitter.”

Who is/was a major role model for you? My mother is, and will always be my role model. She was a single parent for part of my childhood; she worked hard to support both my older brother and me. Through everything she has always been my biggest supporter, she’s taught me to follow my dreams, and never give up when things get tough.

Describe yourself in three words: Energetic, Ambitious, and Independent

What other clubs/organizations are you a part of on campus? I am a Pathways to Honors Mentor, Gateways Mentor/ Financial Literacy Coach, a member of Diversity Fellowship, and the Financial Wellness & Events Student Coordinator in the Wellness Department.

Favorite Movie? Why do you love it? I don’t have a favorite movie per say, but anything that involves fast cars, robots, strong female leads (who aren’t damsels in distress), magic, and the occasional explosion is right up my alley.

I can’t stand movies that always paint females as weak, or needing a man to save them. I’m super into special affects, and films that just captivate you mind and soul (Harry Potter *cough cough*). It’s almost like they make the world on screen come to life.

What advice gets you through when you have writer’s block? Normally, writer’s block is induced when I don’t get at least 6 hours a sleep. Which happens pretty often, but I always tell myself “you can sleep when you’re dead.” Then grab a candy bar, and keep it moving.

What is your dream job? My goal is to be a Travel Writer, and step foot on every continent before I die. However, I’m saving Antarctica for last, because you can’t just party with penguins everyday, you have to ease into that.

Why did you choose your major? Writing is my life, and I want to have a career that makes an impact on the world daily. Journalists have a huge influence on society and the way people think. I have a huge heart for diversity, and I want to help continue to bring people around the world together. Our geographical locations, languages, cultures, religions, ethnicities, or anything else may be different. However, at the end of the day we are all people, if you cut us open we are all the same. So, we all should be entitled to the same rights, and treated fairly because we are human. 

Claire is a junior Writing and FMA (Film & Media Arts) double major. She hails from Huntsville, AL, where she resided from the point of birth until beginning her journey here at the University of Tampa. She is greatly enjoying her college career, and can be seen hopping around campus, either going to class, or doing something in relation to the many organizations she is a part of. When not actively involved with classes, Her Campus, and/or other organizations, Claire can be found lounging around in her room, most likely glued to her laptop, or writing with her quill pen in her journal, or perhaps reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy (her latest book quest).