This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Society has taught us all that showing emotions is not good, which is a big limiting belief. For that reason, people who, like me, have developed a fear and anxiety of crying in public suffer greatly whenever something upsets us. We start to bottle things up and believe me when we reach our limit, we surely explode and the person might not even realize what hit him/her. Consequently, that leads to toxic relationships and bad communication. 

After 3 months in quarantine, I discovered the beauty of vulnerability and being in touch with your feelings. And you might be wondering, Why? Why do you think it’s beautiful? Simply because if you don’t show or talk about how vulnerable you are at times, then people won’t really be able to tell. People don’t have crystal balls nor can they read our minds. That’s on us! Of course, that people should have the minimum common sense to read the room and feel the energy that those around them are emanating, but that doesn’t always give them a clear picture of what’s going on.

When you show or talk about the topic with those around you, then they are better able to help you in any way they can. For example, if you’re struggling through something, they can help you by giving you pieces of advice. If you’re going through something surprisingly good, they can help boost you up even more. It’s just very beneficial to accept, own, and show your emotions without caring about what others will think of you. Let them think about what they want. You’ll most likely always be the sole person who knows the full truth about your own self, why should you let others decide if your feelings are right or wrong?

However, show and tell are not the only benefit of it. Vulnerability is needed for good and healthy relationships because without it there’s no communication. As far as I’m concerned, communication is the basis of any relationship and good communication leads to trust, support, camaraderie, compassion and so much more. On the other hand, poor communication leads to judgment, individualism, negativity, fights, and just very toxic relationships overall. I don’t know about you, but I much rather have healthy and supportive relationships, so showing my emotions is one of my top priorities as of late. 

I’m glad to be able to go back to my inner child and cry for being too involved in plots from movies and TV Shows. I don’t care about crying and venting in front of people anymore. I no longer bottle things up and instead say whatever is on my mind even if it evokes some emotion. Now, I’m practicing speaking my mind with clarity and compassion. Especially because as a fire sign, I can be a bit rude sometimes as I’m way too honest. I also feel things very intensively and extremely. 

Join me in my journey to speak your mind with clarity so people can clearly understand what you mean, and show compassion so neither party will get hurt in the process. Let’s show our feelings and emotions without caring what others say or think about it. Let’s just be happy about being ourselves! And most importantly, let’s break the taboos and stigmas around what we can and cannot do with our feelings. Be the owner of your life and live it to the fullest.

25, Sagittarius, Brazilian. University of Tampa 2022’ English teacher, writer, and journalist I'm a language geek, adventure seeker, and bookworm. g.maistrobrasolin@spartans.ut.edu
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson