This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

The Philippines is a Southeast Asian Country between the Philippine Sea and the South China Sea, east of Vietnam. It comprises around 7,000 islands. Filipino people are known for their warm hospitality, strong religious faith, and love of family.

My childhood consisted of eating rice-based foods with my hands, watching Filipino teleseryes (soap operas), and watching my mom master her craft in making lumpia.

I am the second-generation to parents who emigrated from the Philippines during the early 90’s.

From a young age, my mom instilled in me the significance of my cultural roots. At one point, I told my parents to, “only speak to me in Tagalog.”

I grew up around a majority of white people in Catholic, Private school from Kindergarten to High School. I was one of the only three Asians to graduate from my class in high school in 2017.

With the lack of diversity around me, I conformed to the white culture around me than embracing my Filipino heritage. I wanted to be accepted. Important. I became embarrassed by the type of food my parents made. I felt frustration with people belittling my dad because of his broken English. At one point, a guy became disinterested in me because “It was a race thing.”

In order to be like everyone else, I quieted my voice, my culture, a part of who I am… In spite of the period of darkness, I saw The Beauty in My Ethnicity over time.

Over the summer, I investigated more into my family background. The stories of my ancestors I cherish and honor with high respect.

One of my great-grandfathers ruled as a datu, a chief, of a tribe. My Lolo (grandpa) Eduardo was the head of a sugarcane plantation. From earlier days, my family has shown a role of leadership in every area of their lives.

Suddenly I imagined a line of all my ancestors behind me. I am our generations product of a miracle living in America coming from a third world country of suffering and hardship to survive.

I live in stability and freedom with a roof over my head, an education to knowledge me, and food on my plate to eat. I am a living dream they once had for themselves and generations to come.

Was I going to let people temporarily become an influence in diminishing the power and beauty in my culture? NOOO

By living in remembrance of my family, I breath life into all who have gone before and become the new storyteller of our tribe. The warrior spirit lives on inside of me as a collection of cries and praises of my ancestors. Their stories push me to not back down but to fight as a voice for those minorities oppressed as well.

Yes… Filipinos have amazing food, cultural traditions, but I’ve learned Filipinos have a strong-willed mindset. We fight on with a caring but fierce heart.

We all come from different backgrounds with so many beautiful and broken stories behind each family’s history.

Do not let this world bring down your ethnic identity

Mabuhay! (Welcome) My goal is to strengthen and empower the voice of women by talking about real-life experiences, struggles, and honest moments we experience on campus and in every day life.