Authors All College Girls Should Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

Netflix may seem more appealing than reading a book for pleasure a lot of the time, but these young adult romance novelists might just be able to get you to stop staring at your computer and phone screens.

P.S. All listed books are books I’ve read and loved, and they’re all available on Kindle!

1. Colleen Hoover: This is the author of my all-time favorite book, Hopeless. Not only do I share a name with the main character (haha!), but it’s a love story full of mystery and excitement. The ending is such a plot-twist that it will probably leave you sitting with your jaw open and tears down your cheeks. Another cool thing about Colleen Hoover’s books is that most of them are from a girl’s point of view, but the third book in the series is usually a slight retelling from a boy’s point of view instead. You learn a lot more about the boy character’s background and it’s interesting to see how each of them tells their story.

• Hopeless, Losing Hope, and Finding Cinderella
  • Slammed, Point of Retreat, This Girl
  • Ugly Love
  • Maybe Someday, Maybe Not
  • Never Never

2. Jessica Sorensen: If you enjoy long series that keep you on your toes, Jessica Sorensen’s books are for you. Most of her books are at least part of a trilogy. Then there’s usually another set of books in the series about a different story using secondary characters from the first set and making them the main characters in the next. For example, Violet and Luke from The Destiny of Violet and Luke are Callie and Kayden’s best friends from The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden.

• The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden, The Redemption of Callie and Kayden, The Resolution of Callie and Kayden (Coincidence series)
  • The Destiny of Violet and Luke, The Probability of Violet and Luke, The Certainty of Violet and Luke (Coincidence series)
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha, The Forever of Ella and Micha, The Ever After of Ella and Micha, Ella and Micha: Infinitely and Always (Secret Series)
  • The Temptation of Lila and Ethan, Lila and Ethan: Forever and Always (Secret Series)
  • The Fallen Star, The Underworld, The Vision, The Promise

3. John Green: I know, I know, typical. But John Green is one of those authors, who you’ve probably heard of, but you’re likely to have not heard of all of his books. They’re definitely all worth checking out. Aside from the obvious The Fault in Our Stars, I personally favor Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns. They’re both full of mystery and investigation, and it’s difficult to predict what’s going to happen next. That kind of book is always the most interesting.

• The Fault in Our Stars
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Paper Towns
  • An Abundance of Katherines
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson

4. Nicholas Sparks: Again, typical. Nicholas Sparks’ books usually turn into movies, so why read them? Let me tell you. They’re brilliantly written, and I can almost guarantee you at least one of them will bring tears to your eyes. The love stories are so thought out and intricate and they will all leave you wanting to fall in love, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

• The Notebook
  • Dear John
  • The Lucky One
  • The Best of Me
  • The Last Song
  • Safe Haven
  • True Believer

5. Sarah Dessen: These books are not as sophisticated as the other books above, but they’re still worth reading. More adorable love stories with tons of excitement and you will NOT want to put them down.

• The Truth About Forever
  • Just Listen
  • Lock and Key
  • Along for the Ride
  • This Lullaby
  • Someone Like You
  • Dreamland
  • What Happened to Goodbye
  • That Summer

​Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sky is a junior at The University of Tampa, majoring in Communications. Even though she was born in Maryland and goes to college in Florida, her heart will always be across the country in Los Angeles, California. Most of the time, you can probably catch her skating around campus on her longboard or clumsily walking into something while she's on her phone.