Wellness

A Spiritual Guide on How To Reduce Stress and Improve Your Well-Being

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

This semester was full of changes for me. Living off campus on my own for the first time was a new experience. Although I enjoy living off campus, living alone started to get lonely. As a person who thrives on independence, positivity, and self-care, I noticed that I was starting to slip away little by little. It took me a while to realize that I was struggling and to figure out the root cause. Stress can cause us to break our routines, procrastinate, or feel more emotional than usual, but often, we overlook the underlying reasons. School and work kept me busy, and I saw my friends whenever possible, but the stress and loneliness started affecting my mental health. To ease this transition, I got a puppy despite having a busy schedule. The responsibility of being a pet owner was another adjustment and a financial sacrifice, but it was the best decision for my mental health. I found it difficult to manage my time, so I accepted that I needed to put in the work to stay on top of all of my priorities, my health being on top. I did this by starting my spiritual awakening journey.

With finals near and the new year around the corner, now is a common time when students feel the most stress. That being said, it is a crucial time to check in on your mental and physical health. 

Here are ways you can start your spiritual awakening journey to overcome stress and improve your well-being:

Self-Reflection. 

IMO, the most effective way to reflect on your thoughts, feelings, and desires is by journaling. Some people find it beneficial to journal daily, but it doesn’t have to be– however,  it is a great habit to get into if you have the time. The key to journaling is to not only record the negatives– it is just as important to record the positives. Journaling can serve as your spiritual guide to feel more in tune with your inner self and to help you become aware of what is going on in your life and what positive or negative effects it has on you. It clears your mind and allows for insight into what you want your future to look like (career, interests, decisions, finances, love life, etc.). The most difficult part of journaling is being able to put all of your thoughts onto paper. Sometimes, there are specific areas we want to focus on, so using journal prompts will help to deepen your perspective on these areas. You can look up journal prompts online and find the ones that resonate most with you. Journaling does not only have to be handwritten; and you can test out journal apps or type them into Notes or a document. Personally, I think having a physical journal that is aesthetically pleasing to you is the best option because it will motivate you to write in it. 

Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Etsy, Target, or Walmart– These are some places you can find a journal based on your budget and aesthetic, online or in-store. 

Journal Apps: 

• DAY ONE: This highly-rated app is great for beginners. It’s super simple and walks you through the benefits of journaling and journal examples, including a ton of categories and prompt ideas. You can also personalize your journals with text and images, video, and audio. Also, it is 100% private with a passcode lock. 
  • My Diary- Journal with Lock: This app provides a variety of templates for self-care, learning, gratitude, traveling, food, etc., as well as themes and graphic features to personalize your journals. Also, it is 100% private with a passcode lock. 
  • DailyBean: Rated No.1 mood tracker app by Apple and Google. This app is cute, minimalistic, and easy to use. You can customize blocks, track mood flows over time and get a full activity analysis. 

Communicate and Seek Support. 

After taking the time to reflect, it is important to communicate with family and friends. You are not alone. It can be unhealthy and self-destructive to bottle up all of your emotions. Sometimes, just expressing your experiences to people you trust and receiving advice or support can come a long way. If you are unsure how to cope or what steps to take, investing in a therapist is a good start. 

Manifestation & Law of Attraction.

Your mind is your greatest power, and you are in control of your future. Manifestation is the simple act of believing that what you want in life will come true. This act is commonly linked to the Law of Attraction. This philosophy consists of the spiritual belief that positive or negative thoughts bring positive or negative experiences into one’s life. So, if you have a negative attitude about something, then it will most likely have a negative outcome, and vice versa. Therefore, it is important to keep a positive mindset and believe that you can turn anything into a reality. 

Listen to music. 

Music is therapy for the soul. Music is scientifically known to be a stress reducer and mood booster. Listening to certain songs or genres can set the tone. If you are feeling stressed or in need of inspiration, try listening to music that you connect with.

Meditation and Physical Exercise. 

Peace of mind is essential, and so is your body. If you are feeling overwhelmed and need to take a break from homework or whatever is causing you stress, taking a few minutes to meditate and relax your body can instantly reduce stress. It is important to also stay active, but if you are not into working out, do not worry- going for a mindful walk or practicing yoga is just as beneficial. Eating healthy also has a lot to do with your physical health– making sure you are consuming enough nutrients and drinking lots of water is crucial. Your mind and body are connected, so your perceptions and feelings can influence your bodily functions. If you don’t take care of your mental health, your physical health will decline, too. Balance is key to staying healthy. 

Listen to podcasts. 

Finding the right podcast to suit your interest takes time, but there are podcasts for just about anything today. You can start by looking up topics in your search bar on your music app. The great thing about podcasts is that you can listen to them while completing your daily routine, whether that is on the drive to school, in the shower, while doing chores, etc. Podcasts help to make you feel less alone and inspire you to open your mind to new ideas.

My personal faves:

• The Psychology of Your 20’s
  • Growing With The Flow
  • How To Become That Girl
  • On My Mind
  • PiscesToday
  • Water into Wine

Go out in nature. 

Go out and explore. Putting yourself in nature will make you realize how beautiful and big the world is. Take yourself to places where you feel most nostalgic, peaceful, or happy. Then, sit in your thoughts while observing the world around you. You might want to try journaling and listening to music while you are out in nature to set the mood. 

Get into a hobby. 

When you are stressed, a great way to distract your mind is to put your energy into something you love. Of course, you will need to manage your time properly so you do not become more stressed. But taking your mind off stressful activities by involving yourself in something you enjoy is not only healthy but important for self-discovery. When you feel yourself, you feel your best. 

Cut out unhealthy activities and habits.

Easier said than done, but continuing unhealthy activities and habits only make your stress worse. It is essential to keep note of what activities are causing more harm than good and then cut them out. For example, I found that constantly scrolling through social media put me in a negative mindset, so I cut down my screen time and noticed little by little an improvement in my mood.

Zoie Aguiar is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Tampa. Her articles cover a variety of topics including wellness, lifestyle, work, academics, travel, fashion, gen-z culture and aesthetics. In addition to sharing relatable and credible content on these topics, Zoie aims to connect with others by spreading positivity. Her core values are: well-being, passion, integrity, peace and individuality. Zoie is a Junior studying Advertising and Public Relations with a minor in Marketing. In her free time, she loves to cozy up in her bed and watch reality tv, take pictures, DIY, design, decorate, play volleyball and shop. Zoie loves to travel and explore new things. Her favorite places to be are the city, beach, and mall. She loves to express her personality and style through writing, art and fashion. Ultimately, Zoie loves to be creative and have fun!