7 Tips for Making Friends as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

One of the scariest parts of going off to college is the fact that you have to start off without any friends. Although everyone always says, “you’re all in the same boat,” it still can give you major anxiety. Use these 7 tips and make some friends, freshmen!

1. Attend the orientation sessions

They might not sound like the most fun way to spend your afternoon, but you can easily meet other freshmen by going to the orientation sessions. My freshman year I had to go to endless security, safety and other annoying sessions that were designed to bore your brains out. Instead of sitting in the back corner so that you can text your friends from home, sit next to a group of people and strike up a conversation. Ask for their phone number and find out what dorm they live in. Next thing you know you may possibly pass them in the dining hall or see them out later that night, all thanks to the orientation programs.   

2. Branch out beyond your dorm

Although the easiest and most convenient want to make friends is to talk to the people that live on your floor, this will not make your friend group diverse. Broaden your horizons! Sit in the student center, go play some basketball with a group of people you have never met, go to the gym, or talk to people in your class. Making these small conversations can ultimlitly lead to making friends. Soon enough you will have a huge circle of friends from all over campus, not just ones that live two steps across the hallway.

3. Join as many clubs as you can

UT is wonderful when it comes to student organizations. With over 160 clubs and organizations, there seems to be something for every personality. If there isn’t one for you, there is always the option to start your own club. Join something that interests you, something related to your major, or even something different to push yourself out of your comfort zone. When I went to my first organization fair my freshman year, I ended up randomly signing up for clubs that I would never see myself interested in, but I met a few friends out of it.

4. If you think you are interested in Greek life, go for it.

Joining Greek life is a huge way to make friends right off the bat. Joining an organization filled with people of similar interests and morals is a wonderful way to make friends. The worst that can happen is that you try it and you don’t like it. Even if you don’t end up getting the bid you want or continuing with Greek life, you still have made friends throughout the weekend long experience.

5. Go to that random party the weird guy across the hall told you about.

After sitting through hours of orientation sessions about safety, you will have learned which areas in Tampa are safe to be in after dark. If the weirdo across the hall is going to a party with some friends in a non-sketchy area, grab your friends and tag along! Stepping out of your comfort zone and surrounding yourself with strangers from your school isn’t as bad as it sounds. Going to random, fun and different parties is how I met some of my best friends

6. You can be friends with your roommate

Every minute of the day doesn’t have to be spent with your roommate, but you still can do fun things together.  Invite her to lunch, a party, or make plans to do something fun together every Saturday afternoon. Chances are she will have her own circle of friends, but so will you. Combining these groups together every so often makes for an even bigger group of friends. Being friends with a bunch of different people on campus is what I like most.

7. Your RA doesn’t have to be your enemy

Many people believe your RA is there to make you feel uncomfortable, make you feel like someone is watching you 24/7, and constantly out to get you in trouble. This is the biggest piece of false information you receive as a new college student. If you are having any roommate issues, feeling homesick, or you don’t feel comfortable going to friends about a specific issue, go to your RA.  That is what they’re there for. Don’t hesitate, just talk to your RA! They all spend days in RA training to ensure that you have the best residence life experience possible, all while keeping you safe.  

Well, freshmen, these are 7 tips for YOU! Use these tips to make friends who will hopefully be by your side for the rest of your college career and beyond.  Follow these steps and you will have an amazing group of diversified friends! 

Have fun and good luck!

Photo Sources:1,2,3,5,6,