Career

5 Questions You Need to Ask At Your Next Interview    

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

You’ve been searching and applying for your dream job and you finally get the call to come in for an interview, now what? The interview process is the most important and final step before hopefully being offered and accepting a job. After researching everything you need to know about the company and the employees before the interview, here are the five questions you should be asking at the interview.

#1 What do you expect of an employee who is currently holding this position?

When asking this question, you will not only get more details about the position you applied for, but you will know exactly what to do in order to impress your future bosses. Asking this question in the interview will also show how much you care about the position and how you are willing to learn exactly how the job works.

#2 What is a typical day like as an employee working at…..? 

This question will hopefully give you a layout and better understanding of the company on how they work on a day to day basis. You could also ask follow up questions after to get a better understanding of people who work there and the atmosphere. For example: What type of people thrive working in this environment and who doesn’t? It is important to like where you work just as much as the actual work you are doing; a dreadful environment is going to make a severe impact on your work ethic.

#3 What are some of the biggest challenges someone in this position deals with?

Every job is going to have its ups and downs and it’s better to know this going into the job rather than finding out while in the current position. Getting to know everything you can about the job will let you know if it’s the right fit for you. If you think the job is a good fit for you, even with its challenges, you will at least now know how to prepare for them.

#4 Do you have any doubt or reason on why I wouldn’t be a good fit for this position?

Asking this question may seem a bit awkward, but it will give you any last chances to prove to them why you are a good match for the position. Waiting until the end of the interview would be the best time to ask this question. If you had something in the interview they were unsure about it will give you a chance to further elaborate on the original question they asked.

#5 What are the next steps in the interview process?

You have finally made it to the end of the interview, now all you need to know is what you are going to need to do next. Asking this question shows the company you are ready and eager to take the position. This will also give you a time frame on how long it will take them to get back to you about the position.

Always remember with each and every interview it is a learning experience even if you don’t get the job, practicing and attending each one will only make you stronger. Interviews can bring on lots of nerves so take a deep breath and before you know it you may be working at your next dream job. Good luck!

Hello! My name is Jessica Scott and I am a recent graduate of The University of Tampa with a bachelor's in Marketing. I love to create websites for small companies, but I also have a big passion for writing. I'm from New Hampshire originally but moved down to Florida for the warm weather and school, and I have loved every minute of it here!
Amanda Thompson is a native of Portland, Maine who is currently a Senior studying Communications at The University of Tampa. When she's not binge-watching New Girl, you can find her dancing around to Jhené Aiko, Lana Del Rey or Kehlani. If you want to keep up with Amanda, follow her on Instagram @amaandathompson