5 Easy Ways to Have a Vegetarian Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If you are in the club of no-turkey-eaters for the first time, you are not alone. There are plenty of college students who have opted for a healthier lifestyle, and decided to purge their diet of meat. It is hard to imagine the annual Thanksgiving feast without a slowly roasted, golden brown turkey sitting in the middle of the table, no need to panic, we have your alternative guide to a vegetarian Thanksgiving that will leave you just as groggy and satisfied as your mother’s cooking.

1. Turkey

Tofurky: A vegetarian turkey alternative comprised of wheat, gluten, and tofu. This is the best alternative if you are hoping to stick as close to the traditional bird as possible. Check out this article for how to make it.

2. Stuffing

Vegetarian Stuffing with mushrooms: A twist on the traditional stuffing. Includes ingredients such as bell peppers, cashews, and mushrooms in addition to the celery and thyme.

Click here for recipe.

Vegetarian Sausage and Hazelnut stuffing: Add depth in the flavor of your dish by adding “vegetarian sausage” and hazelnuts.

3.  Gravy

Basic Vegetarian Gravy: Create a thick creamy gravy using simple ingredients that are probably already in your kitchen.

Click here for recipe.

For a jazzier taste, try the recipe with apple cider, miso, or your choice of herbs. Your mashed potatoes will be the highlight of the meal.

4. Sides

Cranberry Chutney: A sweet side that compliments the taste of the main dishes perfectly. Simply use fresh cranberries, apples, oranges, and maple syrup to make a homemade vegetarian sauce.

Click here for recipe.

5. Slow Roasted Green Beans with Sage: Switch up grandma’s famous dish by roasting the green beans, replacing the meat for fish, and adding a bit of sage leaves.

Click here for recipe.

5. Dessert

Pumpkin Pie Brownies with Pecan Topping: Why must you go without one when you can have both? Merge the holiday classic with a favorite dessert by adding cocoa powder.

Daina is a junior at the University of Tampa pursuing a degree in Journalism. Daina has loved writing from a the time she was a little girl. She is happy to have traded in the cold winters of her native state of Minnesota for the sunny beaches of the Tampa Bay area. When she is not hitting the pavement in search of her next story for class, Her Campus, or UT's newspaper, The Minaret, she has another set of interests. Chances are you will find Daina spending time with her family. Or she will be in the studio performing sun salutations, as she is a newly initiated yoga addict. Like most college students her age, Daina is engaged in the social media world, her favorite platforms are Pinterest and Tumblr. In the future, Daina aspires to be the Editor-In-Chief of a women's health magazine.