10 Internships You Should Look Into

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tampa chapter.

If one thing is for sure, it’s that the girls of Her Campus UT are extremely dedicated to their craft of writing. Even though many of us are pursuing different majors and are in different years, we all share the same level of dedication towards developing our careers. Her Campus has given us plenty of experience we need for our resumes, and given us great connections to land cool internships. The search for your first internship can be daunting and very intimidating. However, we are here to help! Here is where some of our writers have interned in the past:

1. Creative Loafing: Creative Loafing is the 3rd largest newspaper in the Tampa Bay area. Interns pitch story ideas to editors and sections of the paper. They also contribute to feature stories.

2. College Fashionista: College Fashionista is a fashion blog website. Interns are responsible for writing weekly articles based on one of the sections, “What to wear,” “Style Guru Style,” “Style Advice of the Week,” “All in the Details,” “Fashion from Abroad.” Take street style pictures of a Fashionisto/a and write a 250-500 word copy about the look. To Apply: http://www.collegefashionista.com/apply-style-guru/

3. Deliver Media: Deliver Media is a marketing agency that focuses on direct mail marketing, email marketing, and social media marketing. Interns work on social media campaigns for clients and writing business related blogs to help with SEO.

4. Recording Department- Clerk of the Court and Comptroller’s Office: Interns learn how to electronically file, record, and scan various documents such as marriage licenses, mortgages, warranty deeds, and death certificates. They also take photos of people, from babies to senior citizens, who were applying for passports. As one of our writers stated, “This internship gave me the experience of what it is like to work for a government agency and also helped me to understand how to assist the public with the tasks they need completed.”

5. StyleFT: StyleFT. Is a digital platform for fashion and lifestyle enthusiasts. Interns pitch articles for other writers and write five articles daily about fashion, health, celebrities, or arts and entertainment.

6. Surviving College: Surviving College is a website dedicated to help students integrate into the college life. Interns pitch story ideas and learn how to control SEO content and traffic.

7. Tampa Bay Scene: Tampa Bay Scene is a local start up throughout Florida. Interns helped pitch ideas, and once approved wrote articles for anything related to what’s happening in the Tampa Bay Area, in the world, or anything people our age would be interested in reading. To Apply: Email scene@collegevox.com with the subject “TampaBayScene” answering the question, “What is Tampa?”

8. Travel Freak: Travel Freak is a website dedicated to travel lovers. Interns pitch story ideas, write articles, and learn how to control SEO content and traffic.

9. USA TODAY College: Interns pitched article ideas, got quotes from students and people connected to the story, and submitted to editors before deadline. To Apply: http://college.usatoday.com/content-opportunities/

10. WEDU-PBS: Special events intern helped plan monthly events and made all the promotional items for them such as press releases, flyers, e-blasts, and online event postings.

Take a deep breath, collegiettes! There are plenty of internships out there for you. It’s just a matter of sorting through them, and finding out which one would be most beneficial to you. Whatever internship you end up doing, make the most of it! Even if you are doing minimal work, soak up everything around you. Make connections and volunteer for extra projects whenever possible. This is your path, make the most of it, and have fun with it!

Finally, thank you to Her Campus for helping provide us with the skills we needed to land our internships!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Brianna is a sophomore at the University of Tampa, studying journalism. She is the current Vice President of HerCampusUT. When she is not writing, or reading, she enjoys soaking up the Florida sun, and rubbing it in the faces of her friends who live up north via Snapchat. You can often find Brianna biking on Bayshore, at a country concert, or in front of the TV bawling over the Bachelor.