Your guide to the best and worst of this season’s TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Fall is my favorite season, but not for the reason you may be thinking. Though I love the
sound of crunching leaves under my boots and the taste of a pumpkin spice latte, what I
really get excited about is all of the new fall television shows. This season has a healthy
dose of the paranormal, the return of some familiar faces, and tons of girl power. For
those curled up in their dorm room without a television, do not fret! Hulu has just added
plenty of entertaining shows from across the pond.

Don’t Miss…

Buffy is Back! Sarah Michelle Gellar makes her return to the small screen taking on two
roles in The CW series Ringer. Gellar plays twin sisters Bridget, a recovering addict and
ex-stripper, and Siobhan, a wealthy and successful socialite. When Bridget is forced to
assume Siobhan’s identity, she quickly discovers that her life is not as squeaky clean as it
appears on the outside.
Ringer is on The CW Tuesdays at 9/8c

For those craving something more sinister, FX has American Horror Story from the
creative minds behind Glee, about a Los Angeles family that moves into a decrepit
mansion, unaware of its dark past.
American Horror Story premieres Oct. 5th on FX

On the paranormal theme, The CW has followed the success of The Vampire Diaries,
and adapted another popular book series with The Secret Circle. But instead of the tired
vampire theme, this time the witches are taking over.
The Secret Circle is on The CW Thursdays at 9/8c

If you are counting down the days until Mad Men returns in 2012 check out The Hour
on BBC America. An espionage thriller set in June 1956 and played out in real time, the
series follows the behind-the-scenes action of a news crew during a political crisis.
The Hour is on BBC America Wednesdays at 10/9c

Zooey Deschanel brings the indie-darling shtick she perfected in 500 Days of Summer to
Fox in her show, The New Girl. She plays herself, ahem, I mean, Jess, a recently dumped
20-something that moves in with a group of loveable single guys after she is kicked out
of her apartment.
The New Girl is on Fox Tuesdays at 9/8c

Enter at your own risk

Rachel Bilson won the hearts of many playing the ditzy girlfriend of Seth Cohen on The
O.C, but believing her as a doctor that went through years of medical school is pushing
it. The successful girl from the big city returning to her small-town in the south is not
creative or interesting. Plus, we liked it better when Reese Witherspoon did it years ago.
Hart of Dixie premieres Monday Sept. 26th on The CW

You would think a show from the creator of Sex and the City would be light and fun,
but 2 Broke Girls is painful to sit through. Two waitresses, one cynical and brunette, the
other blonde and bubbly, work together in a Brooklyn diner. The blonde’s family has
just lost their massive fortune and she is forced to start scrubbing tables in this fish-out-
of-water sitcom. The writers’ attempts at being raunchy come off as immature, and the
jokes fall flat. Not to mention the overuse of the laugh track will leave you praying for
spontaneous hearing loss.
2 Broke Girls is on CBS Mondays at 9:30/8:30c

Not surprising that this comes from one of the creators of 2 Broke Girls, comedian
Whitney Cummings stars in her own sitcom, obviously entitled, Whitney. It relies on tired
jokes about the differences between men and women, but its biggest downfall is the fact
that the title character will annoy its viewers.
Whitney is on Thursdays on NBC

Curl up and watch

Hulu has an assortment of fantastic British shows added to its online database. Check out
the first three seasons of Skins, before it was butchered by MTV. Misfits is a hilarious
series about a group of troublemaker sentenced to community service who are struck by
lightning on the job and discover that they now possess superpowers. For fans of Shaun
of the Dead you can now watch Simon Pegg in the comedy Spaced.

Returning Shows

Boardwalk Empire (HBO) Sunday Sept.25th 9/8c
Bones (FOX) Thursday Nov. 3rd 9/8c
Chuck (NBC) Friday Oct. 21st 8/7c
Community (NBC) Thursday Sept. 22nd 8/7c
Desperate Housewives (ABC) Sunday Sept. 25th 9/8c
Dexter (Showtime) Sunday Oct. 2nd 9/8c
Glee (Fox) Wednesday Sept. 21st 8/7c
Gossip Girl (CW) Monday Sept. 26th 9/7 c
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) Thursday Sept. 22nd 9/8c
House (FOX) Monday Oct. 3rd 9/8c
How I Met Your Mother (CBS) Monday Sept. 19th 8/7c
Law and Order: SVU (NBC) Wednesday Sept. 21st 10/9c
Modern Family (ABC) Wednesday Sept. 21st 9/8c
The Office (NBC) Thursday Sept. 22nd 8:30/7:30 c
Parks & Recreation (NBC) Sept. 22nd 9/8c
Supernatural (CW) Sept. 23rd 9/8c
The Vampire Diaries (CW) Thursday Sept. 15th 8/7c

Happy Watching!

Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.