This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Whether you’re looking for an escape from reality, something spooky, inspirational, or educational, this fall book list has a little bit of everything to keep you entertained for when the weather starts to get too cold to leave your apartment.

Inspirational: 

– The Sun and Her Flowers, Rupi Kaur 

This is the second collection of poetry published by Rupi Kaur. She takes the reader through a journey about growth and healing. It is divided into five chapters of wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. It is a celebration of life and love and beautifully articulates the journey one takes to rise up and find comfort within ones own skin.

Fascinating Fiction:

– Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng

Things get interesting in a Midwestern town when a Chinese immigrant decides she wants her baby back after giving her up for adoption. This moody mystery centers around this conflict between a biological mother and the white family that took the child in as their own.

Post-Halloween Scaries:

Sleeping Beauties, Stephen King 

If warped reality makes your heart skip a beat then this book is for you. King takes readers into a freakishly realistic fantasy world where women become enveloped in a cocoon-like gauze when they fall asleep. If they are disturbed or awakened they become incredibly violent. (spooky) The story focuses on a special young woman who is immune to this disease. The question that presents itself is whether this is a blessing or a curse? Should she be studied for her medical anomaly or is she a demon who needs to be destroyed?

IRL: 

What Happened, Hillary Rodham Clinton 

For anyone who might still be wondering WTF happened during this past presidential election season, Hillary’s accounts of the months leading up to the election might be how you get your answers

Oldie but Goodie

The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins

In this psychological thriller, the main character takes people watching to an extreme where she becomes completely obsessed with a couple she watches and conjures up a perfect fantasy life for them. One reader said that it immediately hooks you and keeps you coming back because your desperate to find out what happens.

Whatever book you choose, happy reading!

Senior at Syracuse University | Tirelessly curious | Passionate about food & travel | In constant search of the silver lining
Lauren Dana

Syracuse '18

Lauren Dana is a juinor Magazine Journalism major at Syracuse University and the Editor-in-Chief of HC 'Cuse! She is a TV-addict, pop culture fanatic and manicure enthusiast who enjoys spending time with family, friends, shopping, writing, and buying wayyyy too much makeup