You’ve Been Celebrating Valentine’s Day All Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when our Twitter feeds are full of pictures of girls flipping off the Valentine’s Day section of their local drugstore. The negativity towards this day has become a tired trend, and it’s time we all move forward and start to remember what the holiday is really about.

I have to admit, my Valentine’s Day traditions and plans are completely inherited from my mother. Once upon a time, a young, single woman vowed to make sure that her kids loved Valentine’s Day. She didn’t want them to inherit any cynicism, so she restructured her outlook on the ever-so-dreaded February 14th.

Let’s start with a simple question: what is Valentine’s Day about? Love! Think of the last 5 people to whom you said: “I love you.” There’s your family, your friends, your pets, your significant other, the guy who made your coffee this morning, etc. At some point in the heart-filled history of this commercial holiday, we stopped focusing on love and labeled the holiday a romance fest. Romance is wonderful – so I hear – but it’s not what the holiday is about.

This year, I challenge you to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re single or taken, celebrating a day dedicated to love is totally simple. Make sure you call your parents and tell them you love them. You can even go the extra mile and send them a card. It will make their day. Give some cards to your friends, maybe even some candy if you really want to go above and beyond.  Please, no whining about not having dates! Go out to dinner with someone you love, whether it’s a boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend, new friend or family member.

We are given this fabulous opportunity once a year to dedicate an entire day to saying, “I love you.” I can’t guarantee that your day will be as magical as the star-studded Valentine’s Day film, but a few simple gestures can take you out of the icky cynic club. After all, this holiday has a strong association with chocolate. And who could hate a holiday as sweet as that?

Professional Disney princess, but in my spare time I'm an advertising student at SU. I like brie cheese, elephants, Audrey Hepburn, scrunchies, and broadway musicals. If you need me, I'm probably off somewhere listening to the "Hamilton" soundtrack.
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO