This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

It’s almost that time again – time to pack up the Sperry’s and sandals and break out the winter boots. I’ll admit that I surely plan to continue wearing my combat boots and lace-ups that I’ve already broken out for fall. However, once the snow starts falling and the colder months of Syracuse are upon us, appropriate footwear will become drastically important.

When you’re trekking through feet of fluffy white snow to get to class, you’ll be thankful you bought a cute pair of duck boots. This fur-lined pair from Juicy Couture is cute, yet functional. I have a pair similar to this and they’ve definitely been one of my best purchases for the snowy months at Syracuse – of which we all know there are many.

I’m sure you’ve seen girls walking around campus in tall leather boots like this pair from J. Crew. These can easily transition from fall to winter – all you need’s a little bit of leather protector and you’re good to go! Although these are only mid-calf, knee-high and thigh-high boots are sure to be spotted around Syracuse in the upcoming months as well.

Another favorite this winter is ankle boots. This pair from Nine West is also lace-up, another hot trend we’ve been seeing a lot of lately. Studded black or gray suede ankle boots are a few styles I’ve been looking out for lately.

When shopping for winter boots this season, just remember to ask yourself the question of practicality. Will I be able to trudge through snow and slush with these stiletto lace-ups on? If the answer is yes, then go for it! We all know that shoes are really a girl’s best friend (forget diamonds) – and you can never have enough pairs of boots for the winter …right? Happy shopping!

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.