‘The Walking Dead’ Takes Over TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

This summer I plopped myself down in front of the television and watched a full marathon of AMC’s drama, The Walking Dead. Forty-eight hours later, I had watched every episode of seasons 1 and 2, and I was hooked. If you haven’t heard of the show, you’re probably living under a rock. But if you’re certain that you’re not living under a rock, here’s what you have to know about one of the most-watched television series.

The Walking Dead is based on Robert Kirkman’s comic book series. Back in season 1, viewers are introduced to the show’s main man, Deputy Sheriff Rick Grimes, as he awakens from a coma, only to find that the world has been changed drastically by a zombie apocalypse. The undead are referred to as “walkers” by those who are still alive to utter their title. Like the myth goes, the walkers are flesh-eating creatures. Those alive must watch out, because they too can be turned if bitten.

The plot is wrought with thrilling fight scenes and heart-wrenching twists as viewers follow a group of survivors working together to stay alive. The characters’ struggle to hang on to the pre-apocalypse world is a driving emotional force behind the show. What’s equally strong, quite frankly, is that the writers aren’t afraid to kill off major characters. The suspense of not knowing what will happen next has led the show to have the largest following in basic cable history, along with two Emmy awards and a Golden Globe nomination.

This past week saw the highly anticipated premiere of season 3 of The Walking Dead. The episode was nothing short of a nail-biting thriller. Of course, I can’t reveal too much (check out the first two seasons on Netflix); but I will say that the introduction of a new character, Michonne, and the group’s arrival to a new home at a prison crawling with the undead have set the bar high for what is to come in season 3. For returning viewers who haven’t seen the first episode yet, watch out for a serious curveball at the end!

So once you’ve finished up that homework (or maybe not yet), and you’re settling in after a busy weekend, tune into The Walking Dead on AMC at 9:00 p.m. to catch the most-watched entertainment premiere this fall has seen.

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.