This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Over 50% of incoming college students are undecided, and the number of students who change their major is even larger.  Once you reach sophomore year, the pressure to choose your major increases and you may find yourself at a loss as to what to do. Of course, the major stated on your diploma does not define what you will do for the rest of your life, but it does define the classes you will take before you graduate.

Below are a few majors you may want to consider. They might not be very popular, but it goes to show that there is an option for everyone.

1. European Literature

If you love a good book and your dream vacation includes wandering ancient cities in Europe, you might want to have a look at this major. This is the broadest literature major that Syracuse offers, and you learn up to three different languages. Plus, studying abroad is strongly encouraged and you will be surprised at how much you can learn about society from a book.

Career paths: publishing, creative writing, journalism, and international relations.

Trial class: LIT 226.

2. History of Architecture

If you’ve always loved architecture, but math and drawing aren’t really your thing, you still have options. This degree approaches architecture from a more historical and critically artistic perspective, considering its impact on societies throughout the centuries.

Career paths: architectural conservation, education, writing, historic preservation, and museum work.

Trial class: ARC 133.

3. Sound Recording Technology

Perhaps the musical version of TRF, this major is ideal if you want to record music or even own your very own recording studio. Although you will learn about the music industry and it’s overall history, this program focuses on audio engineering. This is a great mix for students who want a multi-disciplinary study that involves both exact sciences and social sciences.

Career paths: producer, musician, technical engineer, and programmer.

Trail class: MUI 205.

4. Jewelry and Metalsmithing

Although this major sounds very specific, there is more to it than you would think. Aside from learning how to make jewelry, you will learn how to sculpt different metals into anything that you want, from lighting fixtures to sculptures to technology prototypes.

Career paths: fashion designer, sculptor, silverware designer, and TV fantasy characters modeling artist.

Trial class: JAM 271.

5. Forensic Science

If you’re obsessed with CSI, there’s probably no other major you’d rather pick.  Although you are required to double major with this one, the options are endless. You can focus your CSI obsession on anything from Psychology to Chemistry! So get ready to solve some murders and spend a ton of time in the lab.

Career paths: med school, law school, private investigator, biological scientist, detective, and clinical laboratory technologist.

Trial class: CHE 113.

Lastly, if it is too late to switch to your desired major, don’t freak out. Often people work in fields that have nothing to do with their major. I’ve known aerospace engineers that became businessmen, economists that became writers, and doctors who became actors. There is no wrong or right path to success, just follow what seems right for you.

image sources: Syracuse University

I'm Ana Lua. I'm currently a Marketing Management major at Whitman looking into transfering to Acting in VPA. I'm originally from Boston, but I've been moving around the world throughout my entire life to places like Brazil, China and Portugal. I love to travel and all things artsy and cute! I also like to write music and have a youtube beauty channel.