This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

As a Syracuse student, getting excited over spring fashion is kind of a waste of time. So while this month’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week previews Fall 2012 lines in an anticipatory fashion (pun intended) that I find mildly obnoxious, it is only fitting (pun intended) that I stay up on autumn trends that will prove trendy year round in cloudy ‘cuse.  

First in looking at color we see a variety of neutrals mixed with bold colors. Pantone has named Tangerine Tango the “it” color of 2012 which means that our home of the orange has been fashion forward for decades. Diane Von Furstenburg, a personal favorite, played with touches of bright chartreuse that added an organic lift to a neutral palette. Color blocking, the unimaginative 2012 trend, was the connective element of the BCBG Max Azria and Lacoste collections. I take issue with color blocking, as the designer seems uncertain about whether to reinvent or return to the nostalgic age of mod.

Another dominant trend best developed by everyone’s favorite ice queen, Victoria Bekham, was the pert collar. Bekham’s dark, militaristic line is so wildly sinister it gives new meaning to Meryl Streep’s “Iron Lady.” Or, even more likely, the devil wears Bekham but I digress. Even Tibi, normally so effortless in bright, bold patterns, played with black, white, turtlenecks and menswear. At the risk of sounding judgmental, ew.

I am self-admittedly a very preppy person so, no surprise here, my favorite Fall 2012 collection that has appeared at fashion week as of February 12, was Kate Spade. Bright colors mixed with polka dots and florals, the only turn-off was the overdone fringe bangs on the models (but at least they were wearing make-up, I’m looking at you, Lacoste).

Other highlights of fashion week worth mentioning include Hervé Léger’s “Gladiator” meets “Darth Vader” corset-infused collection and Zac Posen’s beautifully executed (sarcasm unintended, but actually) “Memoirs of a Geisha” meets “All About Eve” Fall 2012 line. While there is still more to come, so far fashion week seems pretty forgettable. And chances are I probably will forget it by the time September rolls along. 

Stephanie is a senior at Syracuse University studying magazine journalism and psychology. She has been writing for Hercampus.com/Syracuse since her freshman year and has had two different beats: opinionated articles and study abroad tales. Stephanie is also involved with her sorority Gamma Phi Beta and writes for various mediums including The Daily Orange, 'Cuse Clothing Line and Medley Magazine.