This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

If you’re like me, you’re a chronic over-packer. You’re always the one sitting on your suitcase praying that you can zip it shut (you always can so how bad is it really). Well this spring break, I am trying to change my ways. First, because I know I don’t end up needing everything I pack. Second, because I’m a broke college student who doesn’t have $50 to spend on checking a larger bag. So here’s my tips and tricks for packing the light and making it all fit!

Wear it more than once

Wear something more than once. You can easily turn one basic striped tank into multiple different outfits. Wear it with white jeans one day, denim shorts the next or dress it up with a skirt and a jacket. It’s easier than you’d think! You can also turn a sundress into a beach cover-up during the day and wear it out that night. Bringing pieces you can turn into different outfits is the best way to save space in your suitcase!

Roll your clothes

The best way to maximize your space is to make your clothes as small as possible. So fold them in half and roll them up! I didn’t believe that this would help at first, why would clothes that are rolled be any better than folded clothes that lay flat? Rolling them makes it so much easier to pack them close together to make room for other things. It’s been a life saver. 

Wear your bulkiest clothes on the way

Another great way to save suitcase space is to wear the bulkiest clothes that you want to pack on your way there. I’ll be hopping on a plane in my leggings, sweater, denim jacket and Birkenstock’s because those were the hardest things to fit in my suitcase. Save yourself the trouble of trying to pack them and just wear them! Plus it’ll keep you cozier on the plane.

Just to put this all in perspective, here’s a sample of what my packing list looks like:

• Striped Tank
  • Neutral Tank
  • Floral Tank
  • White Pants
  • Denim Shorts
  • Floral Shorts
  • Skirt
  • Sandals
  • T-shirt Dress

See not that scary! If I can pack light, anyone can. So go get ready for your amazing trip and have fun!—xoxo HC

Lauren Dana

Syracuse '18

Lauren Dana is a juinor Magazine Journalism major at Syracuse University and the Editor-in-Chief of HC 'Cuse! She is a TV-addict, pop culture fanatic and manicure enthusiast who enjoys spending time with family, friends, shopping, writing, and buying wayyyy too much makeup