Rainbow of Ribbons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Bumper stickers, pins, tattoos; red purple, pink – you see ribbons everywhere and in every color, but can we keep track of what they all mean? On campus they’re all over the place, from people tabling in Schine Student Center to (my) purses, and they all stand for causes that we are passionate about.

With so many colors and causes, how can we begin to make a difference? Saturday April 9th was Syracuse University and ESF’s annual Relay for Life at the Carrier Dome. With over 2,000 people in attendance, students, faculty, staff and members of the community came together and raised over $160,000 for the American Cancer Society. Throughout the night they celebrated the survivors, honored those who are fighting and remembered those who lost their fight to cancer through laughter and tears.

Every October, the Syracuse community takes part in the annual Breast Cancer Walk. The walk takes place in downtown Syracuse and pink ribbons are displayed everywhere — on shirts, hats, pins, even name tags. Breast cancer not only affects women but also the people who love them, engaging the community at large. Many Syracuse University organizations are present at this walk as well, further promoting awareness on our campus.

But ribbons don’t only symbolize various battles against cancer. The White Ribbon Campaign is run by the Vera House, which is a safe house for people who are being abused physically, mentally and emotionally. The white ribbons and wristbands raise awareness of domestic and sexual violence. In conjunction with the Syracuse University R.A.P.E. Center, ribbons and wristbands were sold in Schine Student Center along with fliers that presented alarming statistics about abuse.

There are numerous student organizations on campus that work towards raising money for certain causes. One such organization is OrangeAID. “The mission of OrangeAID is to serve the members of both the SU and SUNY ESF campuses and the people of the city of Syracuse whose lives have been affected by HIV/AIDS,” according to the group’s website. The red ribbon symbolizes the HIV/AIDS pandemic which affects not only our nation but the world. The SU/SUNY-ESF chapter of Habitat for Humanity and OrangeAID have joined forces to host the May Day 5K Walk/Run on May 1. This event will benefit AIDS Community Resources here in Syracuse and also raise awareness about inadequate housing as part of Habitat for Humanity’s mission.

These are only some of the efforts being made on our campus to raise awareness about various causes. The different colored ribbons not only symbolize different causes but represent the collective efforts of people who are emotionally invested in these causes. It goes beyond making a statement to making a difference. What will you stand for? What will you work toward?

Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.