element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Over Your “Almost” Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Break-ups are one of the hardest things to get over. Luckily, there is a standard protocol of how to cope with them: ice cream, Netflix and a lot of tissues; but how do you respond if there was never an official relationship in the first place? One of the most frustrating, and unfortunately one of the most common, incidents in the college dating world is the “almost” guy. The guy you stayed up late with talking, joking, cuddling and what not.

He’s also the guy you never made things official with. You went with the flow and did not attempt to have the “define the relationship” talk for fear of messing up the situation. You allowed yourself to let your guard down because you thought maybe, just maybe, it would blossom into your next full-out fling. For some, this does happen, but for others it does not. You’re left wondering why this crush still bothers you and how to get over the ending of your “almost” relationship.

There is no established one-and-done trick to mourn and forget this situation. It’s frustrating when people say you shouldn’t be upset over this non-break-up because you didn’t have a “real” relationship. They don’t realize the importance of release. This does not mean you should lie in your bed and throw a pity party for weeks on end, but allow yourself a set period on time (based on how long and intense the “almost” relationship went on for) to indulge in your heartbreak. Get it out!

Mourning the situation is not a sign of weakness; it is a sign of acceptance. You are finally acknowledging that the situation with your “almost” guy is officially done. By doing this you are giving yourself closure, whether he’s a part of it or not. Even in grey areas of romance, giving yourself time to heal is the best way to get over a confusing fling.

My name is Rachel Saunders. I'm a sophomore at Syracuse University who enjoys binge-watching Netflix while eating grilled cheese and telling bad knock-knock jokes.
Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO