How to Get to Know Your Floormates as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

College has begun and the reality might be exactly what we all thought it would be, or totally different. If you didn’t instantly bond with your roommate or something else is making the beginning of your freshman year far from what you imagined, HC is here to help.

A lot of upperclassmen will tell you that their best friends their freshman year were those that lived on their floor, so we have five tips to help with getting to know your floor mates. 

1. Leave your door open.

How’s anyone going to know you’re in your room or friendly enough for them to say hi if your door is closed. I personally did this the first couple of days and people stopped by to say hi, making me feel like I was going to make friends with these people. 

2. Say hi and be friendly

Another thing I did the first couple days was said hi to those on my floor. On the way to the elevator or stairs, I’d stop by the rooms that were open and introduce myself. I also said hi when I passed people in the hallway. This makes you seem like you’re friendly and approachable. 

3. Start a GroupMe for the floor if there isn’t one already

GroupMe is an app that lets you create group messages, something that is so helpful for college students. This makes it easier to find people to eat with or go to class with. 

4. Invite people to hang out/get food/etc. 

Whether it’s using GroupMe or just asking people you see on your floor, make the first move. Something as simple as asking someone to go get dinner or textbooks can be the start of a great friendship. 

5. Hang out in the lounge or common room on the floor if there is one

If your floor has a common room of some sort, spend time in there. Whether it’s working on homework or watching TV, people will walk by and they’ll probably join you. Before you know it, most of the floor is in there talking and having fun. 

Happy first year, Syracuties!

Larry is the feature writer at Her Campus covering entertainment, lifestyle, and relationship news. He is a huge fan of Ariana Grande. Also, he is always providing helpful tips on how to be your best self. When he’s not writing at HC, he is either working out at the gym, exploring coffee shops, or touring the city for the best pizza spots.