How to do V-Day on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the hallmark holiday is almost upon us! As much as I’d like to say that I am above celebrating such a cliché holiday…I’m not. Celebrating Valentine’s day with my boyfriend is one of my favorite things. Not because we get each other amazing gifts and spend the whole day making google-y eyes at each other, but because we know each other so well and we know how to get each other something awesome without spending a ton of money (which is clutch when you’re broke college students like us). So here’s some of my tips for Valentine’s Day on a budget if you’re a sucker for this holiday like me. 

1. Adventures

I don’t know about you, but something that I love more than a material gift is a memory. Whether that be a concert, a play, you name it I love being able to do something together. Creating memories together is a much better gift to me than a new sweater (and I love sweaters). So for Valentine’s Day, consider doing something together. There’s so much to do in the area like hike some of the local trails (Fillmore Glenn, Watkins Glenn or Carpenters Falls all look super cool frozen over in the winter) or go Skiing where they offer a college discount (Song or Labrador Mountain). 

2. Make Something

Okay I know how cliché this sounds, but I don’t mean to make a glitter heart saying how much you love your significant other or a picture of you two with a macaroni frame. What about making dinner and dessert together? Or making a list of all (or some because my list would get too long) of your favorite “Tasty” videos and try as many as you can!

3. Favorite Things

One of my favorite gifts to give to anyone is to fill a basket with their favorite things. I don’t mean their favorite clothes and electronics or anything crazy like that, I mean things that prove you know them. Throw in their favorite snacks for when they study, pick up their favorite guilty pleasure movie from the $5 movie section at target and maybe a small gift card to their favorite coffee shop and they’ll know just how much you listen and care about them.

So there you have it, three ideas for an awesome Valentine’s Day without breaking the bank! HCXO. 

Lauren Dana

Syracuse '18

Lauren Dana is a juinor Magazine Journalism major at Syracuse University and the Editor-in-Chief of HC 'Cuse! She is a TV-addict, pop culture fanatic and manicure enthusiast who enjoys spending time with family, friends, shopping, writing, and buying wayyyy too much makeup