This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Spring Break is here at last. It’s time for fun in the sun, beach waves and warm weather. What could go wrong?

Apparently, quite a bit. Vacations don’t always go according to plan. SU students have plenty of stories from plans gone awry. Read up and maybe you’ll get some tips on how to stay positive in sticky situations.

“I have really bad karma when I travel. When I was studying abroad in Chile, I wanted to get out of the city to destress myself. So we went to a drum festival out on the coast. Our bus got delayed because of the festivities, so I couldn’t find a hostel. I spent all day trying to find one and spent all my money travelling trying to find one. My friends and I finally found one and we got to rest. I woke up the next morning and had rashes all over my face. I went to the festival will rashes all over my face and then my friend fainted while we were there. When we got back to the city I went straight to the hospital and they gave me a shot to stop the allergic reaction. I still don’t know what the reaction was to, but what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend turned out not to be so relaxing.” – Michelle, Senior

“My family and I always go camping but then there was the time that I tried white water rafting. I never went before and didn’t know what to do or what to expect, I was like 10 or 11. Somehow my friends in front of me pulled too far ahead and disappeared along a bend. Then my dad behind me also fell too far behind. Long story short I ended up alone floating away down the river. It was a pretty traumatic experience at the time.” – Joe, Junior

“It was my freshmen year of college and my sister and I were meeting some friends in Nevada. We take a bus to go visit them and we didn’t really tell our parents we were going. All we had was $200. The bus stopped in the middle of nowhere and all you see is a Valero gas station, a liquor store, a Subway, some hills, and the freeway. We go to Subway to get some food, we come back outside 7 minutes later and the bus is gone. We asked the woman at the counter where the nearest Greyhound station was and she said it was right there. We asked her when the next bus to Reno was coming and she said 10AM and it was currently 10PM. We saw a taxi cab and flagged him down for a ride. He said the ride would cost $250 to Reno and we didn’t have enough money. We were stranded in the parking lot for five hours and then our friends finally came to get us.” – Jessica, Grad Student

“When I went to Cancun, Mexico at 8 years old, I went Jetskiing with my father, we were far out in the ocean, and there was no one else around. The next thing we know, there was a big wave that flipped us and the jetski upside down. I swam to hold on to the jet ski, so that I wouldn’t float away. My dad didn’t know how to swim so it took, what felt like 10 minutes to finally hold on to the jetski. We screamed and shouted for help, and finally someone came to help us, we got on his jetski. Not more than 10 minutes later, we flipped over again, and then someone else has to come help us. 3 flipped jetskis later, we finally made it to shore, and I had a big bump on my head due to the jet skis.”– Shaheem, Senior

“There was this time my family and I went to this ecological hotel in Ecuador for vacation. The place looked nice, but the bathroom was a latrine. My brother tried to use the bathroom and as he’s using the bathroom, the “toilet” falls through the floor!” – Angelica, Junior

“When my mom and I went to Miami last Spring Break (for a work trip for her) she rented a car, as normal adults do. We didn’t know which car, but when we got there, she found out she got to decide which one of a selection she wanted. We wandered around the garage and eventually she spotted a VW bug. The Herbie car. That one. Now I had always wanted to try one just to say I tried one. But I didn’t want to romp around a hip, young, urban city on my vacation in a VW bug. But lo and behold, she fell in love at first sight and there was no getting in between her and her bug.” – Danny, Sophomore

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO