samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Here Too Fast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

“It’s a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you’re ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.”

–     Hugh Laurie –

Life is overwhelming. Whether you’re a straight-A student involved in fourteen clubs or a part-time student working two jobs, or you’re “just taking it easy” this semester, there comes a moment when you pause and think, “This is too much.” We are all working towards a goal. It doesn’t matter if you have every little step of your future planned out or if you feel completely lost in the blur of it all, the decisions and actions we initiate now are leading to a grander goal.

What happens when that goal is met? Plenty of people strive for perfection in a skill, a dream job, or unfathomable success. What if your big break happens earlier than you’d expected- much earlier? Would you be able to hop onboard without a second thought? Or is such a huge step to further your career too far too fast?

“What if it’s not everything I dreamed it would be?…. Well, that’s the good part, I guess. You get to find a new dream.”

– Disney’s Tangled

Amidst the horror stories of child stars gone wild and ingenious students cracked by mental breakdowns, we often lose our rose-colored vision of our futures. If I fail as soon as I succeed, then why take the chance and work so hard? The unknown is frightening, no argument here. But staying immobile and unimpressionable in the same, tired situation is purgatory.

There are two kinds of people (actually, there are millions of types of people, but…just…be cool). There are those who live their life for one reason, and when that big moment arrives, they run to it. Then there are those who run. They run away as far as they can away from their dream because when opportunity knocked, they hid in their bedrooms, browsing Facebook and updating their LinkedIn.

Procrastinating isn’t simply “not helping” you, it’s hurting you – killing in fact, or at least dashing your dreams to smithereens. So take a leap of faith. Jump, dive, cannonball head first doing a 360-spin into a jackknife! The time is always now. Your dreams are just ahead of you; catch up.

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO