Future Campus Cuties: The Most Rad Members of Class of 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

We spoke to a handful of the awesome cuties (both guys and girls!) coming to SU next year! Here they are, below: 

Lexie Loehr, YouTube Celeb in Training 

1. Why did you choose SU?

I chose SU because when I visited I felt like I was at home, everyone was so nice, and honestly, I was surprised how well I “fit in” considering I’m from Georgia. But the initial reason was Newhouse.

2. What made you want to start a YouTube channel?

I really like making videos, the whole editing process is fun to me. I’ve been a little nervous to actually make a video of myself, but I kinda just thought well I’ve never had any issue talking to people, so this is no different.

3. What is your major?

Right now I’m Magazine Journalism.  I’ve always wanted to write for Vogue or Condé Nast, but recently I’ve actually been thinking about maybe a dual with PR and German language, literature, and culture.

4. Where do you see yourself in five years?

I see myself working for a high-end magazine like Condé Nast.

5. What are your plans for your new channel?

I don’t really have a goal, I’m kinda just having fun.

6. What are you most looking forward to next year?

I’m not sure! I’m excited for the whole college experience, and meeting so many new people, it’s hard to pick what I’m “most” excited about.

7. What’s a fun fact about you?

I have a twin sister who is going to Davidson College next year.

Madison Karpoff, Gymnastics Extraordinairre   

1. Why did you choose Syracuse?

I chose Syracuse because of its beautiful campus, it’s renowned fashion program, and the spirited atmosphere that the school has toward athletics.

2. What’s your major?

Fashion Design.

3. What are you most looking forward to?

I’m looking forward to learning about my major in depth and taking part in all that Syracuse has to offer.

4. When did you start gymnastics?

When I was 3.

5. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?

My greatest accomplishment is probably my gymnastics career. I put so much time and effort into the sport and it absolutely has payed off!

6. Do you plan to continue your gymnastics career at SU? If so, how?

I am definitely going to stay active at Syracuse and try to maintain my skills. I am considering trying out for the cheerleading team since there are similar aspects in the two sports that I enjoy such as tumbling and teamwork or I might try to join the club gymnastics team.

7. Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years I would like to be living in New York City and starting my career as a bridal gown designer. 

8. What is a fun fact about you?

A fun fact about me is that I have a twin sister. College won’t be the first time we have been apart, but it will be a new experience for me since nobody will know her at Syracuse and I can be my own person without the occasional person mistaking on of us for the other.

Jenna Fink, Future Olympic Figure Skater

1. Why did you choose Syracuse?

I chose Syracuse because it had the best program for what I wanted and it has skating opportunities.

2. What’s your major?

Broadcast and Digitial Journalism and Marketing.

I’m looking forward to meeting new people and getting involved at SU.

4. What do you hope to achieve in the next 4 years?

I hope to become a better skater at ‘Cuse and receive a great education. I’m in the Whitman/Newhouse dual degree program and couldn’t be more excited!

5. How long have you been figure skating?

13 years.

6. What do you consider your greatest accomplishment?

My greatest accomplishment is winning nationals with my synchro team and passing MIF/freestyle tests.

7. How will you be continuing to skate at SU?

I plan to join the synchronized skating team and teach at the rink on campus.

8. Where do you see yourself in five years?

I see myself getting a job as a sports reporter somewhere.

9. What’s a fun fact about you?

A fun fact about me is that I love Broadway/musicals and watching sports.

Hanna Martin, Another Future Olympic Figure Skater

1. Why did you choose Syracuse?

I chose Syracuse because of the wonderful writing and journalism program. Newhouse is one of the top schools in the nation. In addition, the campus is absolutely beautiful and the environment is just amazing. 

2. What’s your major?

Magazine Journalism and Composition/Rhetoric.

I’m most looking forward to living away from home, learning how to become a better writer, and meeting new people.

4. What do you hope to achieve in the next four years?

In the next 4 years, I plan to maintain great grades. I wish to graduate with a double major in magazine and composition/rhetoric. I also wish to keep skating to help me manage my stress and to help me stay physically fit and active.

I have been skating for 8 years – since January of 2009.

I have gone to the South Atlantic regional competition for several years in a row. I have also persevered through two major concussions and awful ankle injuries that have caused tendonitis in my ankle. I feel as if my perseverance and rebound is one of my greatest accomplishments.

At SU, I will continue to freestyle skate and may even join the synchronized skating team. I feel as if it would be an exciting new change for me. I have also applied to work at the ice rink.

In five years, I see myself graduated from SU and possibly in an upper level, possibly Ivy league, graduate school. After grad school, I plan to get a job writing for a magazine or news company and I hope to travel the world.

9. What’s a fun fact about you?

Other than skating, I own a small goat farm. I have been in 4-H for almost ten years, and it has been a significant part of my life.

Ezra James Capiral, Expert Intrumentalist and Musician

1. Why did you choose SU?

I chose SU not only because I wanted to go to one of the nation’s top communications schools, but also because of the beautiful campus and the school spirit. Syracuse University really has everything one can ever ask in a college.

2. What’s your major?

Television, Radio & Film

I am most looking forward to getting to know new and like-minded individuals, as well as learning more about film and also growing as a person.

4. What made you want to learn to play an instrument?

Ever since I was little, I was surrounded by music. My mom is a singer, my dad is a pianist, and my sister plays the piano, flute, piccolo, and drums. Naturally, I wanted to learn an instrument as I was constantly inspired by hearing my sister practicing all the time, so I picked up the piano by age 5 and the violin by 8.

5. Why piano and violin?

Piano is considered a “staple” in the music world, so once you learn piano (which my parents wanted me to do anyway), I had the freedom to choose whatever instrument I wanted next, which of course was the violin. I remember seeing a classmate in kindergarten playing the violin for show and tell, and I guess this sparked my curiosity to want to try out the violin.

6. What are you plans for next year involving music?

I definitely want to audition for the symphony orchestra and the string chamber ensemble.

7. What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment related to music?

I consider performing in Carnegie Hall one of my greatest musical achievements. I performed there as part of the Honors Performance Series, which is a highly selective, international orchestra with over 18,000 auditioning and 700 accepted into the ensemble.

8. What do you hope to achieve in the next four years?

In the next four years, I hope to be president or in a leadership position of at least one student-run club or organization, win an award for a short film, and set myself up for a successful future, post-graduation.

9. Where do you see yourself in five years?

In 5 years, I will be 22 and will most likely be in my senior year of college or just graduated. By then, I hopefully would have an idea of where I would like to work, as well as participated in multiple internships to prepare myself for life after college.

10. What’s a fun fact about you?

A fun fact about me that a lot of people may not know is that I used to tap dance, and took classes for 3 years. I actually really enjoyed it, and if given the opportunity, I would totally go back to dancing.

Lauren Dana

Syracuse '18

Lauren Dana is a juinor Magazine Journalism major at Syracuse University and the Editor-in-Chief of HC 'Cuse! She is a TV-addict, pop culture fanatic and manicure enthusiast who enjoys spending time with family, friends, shopping, writing, and buying wayyyy too much makeup