Campus Celebrity: Leo Wong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Name: Leo Wong

Age: 21

Academic Year: Senior, Class of 2014!

Major: Advertising

Minor: Strategic Management

Relationship status: Single and Ready to Mingle      

What organizations are you involved with on campus, and what positions do you hold in these organizations?

– Phi Delta Theta Fraternity — Re-Founding Father & Public Relations Chairman

– First Year Players (student run theater organization) — Assistant Public Relations Director

– TNH Syracuse (student run advertising agency) — Director of Client Relations & New Business

– Otto Tunes All Male A Cappella Group

– University 100 (university ambassador and tour guide)

– Newhouse Peer Adviser

– Newhouse Ambassador

– Previous 2 year Resident Advisor

What do you think your involvement in these organizations says about you, as an individual, and what does it say about your personality?

“I believe that my involvement on campus shows my dedication to and love for Syracuse University. I came to SU filled with a lot of doubt and uncertainty and not knowing anybody going to SU didn’t help either. Through these organizations, I have been able to find my place by meeting all types of amazing individuals from varying backgrounds who do what I love to do. Each organization I am involved in shows a different passion of mine ranging from performing to advertising to helping others. 

These organizations have helped me grow as a person in a multitude of ways from being a better leader to a stronger vocalist. As an individual, my involvement has forced me to time manage to ensure that I don’t spread myself too thin. Most people’s jaws drop when I tell them what I am involved in because they don’t think I have time to be a student, yet alone sleep. But I can ensure you that I have time to do both!

My involvement at SU has really come to show that I am an individual who likes to stay busy and involved. I don’t like to waste any time sitting around because there are adventures to be had and memories to be created.” 

What is your favorite part of being a Syracuse University student?

“My favorite part of being an SU student is that I’m able to be me. There are so many universities out there that choose students that fit in a cookie cutter. Syracuse University is so diverse in all ways, which in turns accommodates everyone. It fosters an environment for self-discovery through the various academic studies, student organizations, and through the student population itself. I have been able to meet people from all over the world, from all types of backgrounds, and with all types of interests and this is truly invaluable. On the flip side, people have accepted me for the energetic, lighthearted, and quirky person that I am and I am thankful for that.”

What was the coolest/best/most interesting thing to happen to you at Syracuse University or because of Syracuse University?

“This question is definitely a tough one to answer for me because there have been so many great moments that I have had at SU. But I have to say that finding out I was going to be a University Class Marshal and a Remembrance Scholar were two of the most honorable and humbling moments I have experienced this year. Being able to represent the Class of 2014 at graduation and leading the commencement procession is unfathomable and I cannot wait (but I really can because I don’t quite want to graduate yet). As a Remembrance Scholar, I was able to represent a fellow fraternity brother who passed away in the Pan Am 103 Bombing nearly 25 years ago, and this was a true honor as I got to meet his family and hear their stories. Remembrance Week was one of the most emotional and memorable events of my time here at SU and I will never forget it.” 

What do you hope to do after graduation?

“I am currently pursuing a degree in advertising and I aspire to work at an advertising agency. My ultimate goal is to either become a WPP Fellow in which I get to work at 3 different advertising agencies anywhere in the world or work at an advertising agency in New York City. 

No matter where my future takes me, I have two requirements for jobs: I must be in a big city (because this SoCal boy needs to always have something to do) and I have to love going to work everyday. Never has it crossed my mind to do a job that paid me more…simply because it paid more. I want to enjoy going to work every day loving what I do and being surrounded by peers who help me grow as a person. Check back with me in a couple of months and hopefully I’ll know where I am headed!”

I am a junior at Syracuse University majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Retail Management and a student in the Fashion and Beauty Communications Milestone program. I am a three -year veteran Syracuse University cheerleader, and involved in organizations on and off-campus including First Year Players (a theater organization for non-theater majors), Hill Communications PR Firm, PRSSA, Victoria's Secret PINK Street Team, Newhouse Ambassadors, the National Collegiate Scholar Society (NCSS) and now Her Campus!