This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.
Year: Junior
Major: Fashion Design
You play Hud in What Theatre’s production of Hair the musical. How has the experience been for you? It’s been a pretty interesting experience because I’m representing a time in history the was filled with struggle for the black community and that’s something that I’ve tried to represent through my character. Also, being the only African-American male in the cast, I want to show a different perspective than what the other characters see and connect with all people in the audience at the same time.
Hair is set in 1969. How do you get into character to bring Hud to life? It requires so much research! Looking at videos from that time period and reading about the historical events that happened. I see all of that and let it change my body language, speech, and reactions to the many events that happen throughout the production.
Were you always involved in theatre? No. I started out as a dancer. I started at the age of seven and have been dancing ever since. I went to a dance school in the neighboring town from me for about 6 years then I attended the Dance Theater of Harlem for a year and then was a student at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater for a year. However, I always had an interest in the theater because of my parents who were actors, dancers and singers. They took my brother and me to broadway and off broadway productions all the time and that really inspired me.They even had their own theater group in the 80s and 90s called Theater on the Edge. They are who inspire me as an actor and performer. I started being in full blown productions my junior year of high school when i was in a production of Frankenstein 1930 and then  senior year when I played the role of Collins in my schools production of Rent. When I came to SU and joined First Year Players, I was in their production of Rent as an ensemble member. I have been extremely involved in the organization ever since and am now their costume designer for their production of Heathers: The Musical in the spring. 
What else are you involved in on campus? I am involved in First Year Players, a member of Orange Appeal, and Danceworks (not this year though since I’m going abroad next semester).
Do you hope to blend your loves for theatre and fashion in the future? Yes at some point. I don’t see costume design as my main outlet, but it’s definitely a possibility.
Favorite Food: Anything with chocolate!!
Spirit Animal: Titus Andromedon from the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Celebrity Twin: Titus Burgess
If you could have brunch at Bergdorf’s with any figure in history, who would it be and why? Katherine Hepburn, because I think that she is such an amazingly talented person and most definitely a legend in the world of the performing arts. I just want to pick her brain about what it means to be an actor. I also feel like she’s very wise and that I could learn a lot from her.
What do you want for Christmas? A really nice high quality camera and some Beats headphones.
Oranges, Apples, or Other? Grapefruit!
What are your goals post-‘Cuse? I’d like to try my hand at being an actor and audition for plays and musicals in New York but also have a career as a fashion designer.

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle, and I'm the Editor/ Campus Correspondent for the Syracuse chapter of Her Campus! I am a sophomore Television, Radio, and Film major in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. I like traveling, cinematic classics, show tunes, long walks on the beach, chocolate, chocolate on the beach, and anything pink. Go 'Cuse! HCXO