This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Name: A-Sar “AJ” Long Junior

Year: Sophomore

Home College: David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics

Hometown: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

A-Sar Long Junior loves food and playing video games like many people. But this former Syracuse University quarter back is not just your Average Joe. AJ Long has spent most of his time in the sports world, keeping his hair as long as his win streaks; a tradition he’s kept since he started playing football. By his junior year of high school, he was expected to break every passing record in the state of Pennsylvania. In his start at Syracuse against the undefeated Florida State University, he surprised fans by throwing two touchdown passes.

But what does it all mean? Well, it can be summed up in three characters: S4G, which stands for “strive for greatness.” Long says it is a motto that started in his family that goes far beyond winning on the field.

“It’s the life that you live each and every day. It’s not a matter of always being top dog, but it’s a matter of being the top version of you, the best version of you that you can possibly be that day, that moment, this year,” says Long. “That’s really the meaning behind it. Are you willing to sacrifice to better yourself to be the best you can be?”

Family plays a major role in his life. Being the oldest of five siblings, Long says he has never felt pressure to act as their mentor. Instead, they motivate and inspire him.

“Without them I wouldn’t be anything close to who I am now,” says Long. “We all lead in different ways and I really let them guide me in what I’m supposed to do and how I’m supposed to do it because they’re all different.”

In fact, family is the inspiration for Long’s most future goals of opening a high school named the “S4G Academy,” a school for kids who do not have mother and/or father figures in their life.

“I want to set those kids up to be successful because it really aggravates me to see kids that just don’t give a damn about their lives,” Long explains.

Long’s idea of happiness comes from seeing others succeed. He often spends his free time supporting and cheering on his friends at their events and competitions.  

But where does striving for greatness take the alpha man?

“If I’m not here, I’ll be at some school getting my PhD in coaching,” Long answers.

Want to know more about AJ Long? Check out some fun facts about him below.

Favorite Number: 3

Favorite Color: Baby Blue

Favorite Shape: Circle

Favorite TV Show(s): NCIS, The Blacklist, Criminal Minds

Q: If you were an animal what would you be?

A: “The cliché thing to say would be a lion… But I would want to be a mamba… The way that they move is intriguing. How they can contort their bodies into whatever shape, they ‘re always comfortable in their surroundings. It’s pretty incredible.”

Q: If you could live anywhere in the world, carefree, with ten million dollars where would it be?

A: “Dallas, Texas. Football is king and with that ten million dollars, I’d start up my high school.”