Boeheimburg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Each year, before the most highly anticipated basketball game of the season, a group of students camp out next to the Dome so that they can score the best possible seats.  With a sold out student section for this weekend’s game, it will be impossible for any latecomers to get a close-up view of the court.  But this group of die-hard Orange fans planned their strategy well in advance, camping out for up to 14 days in an orange-clad tent community which has been affectionately named Boeheimburg

During the past two weeks the temperatures remained in the single digits most of the time and even dropped well below zero many nights.  But that didn’t stop Junior SU student Isaac Huntsman from staking out his spot.  He told us that “the first night we were there it was -11 with a -20 or so windchill.  Sleeping with two pairs of socks, Under Armour, and a sweatshirt or three was not uncommon.  Additionally we have about 15 blankets, and two mattress pads in our tent.  Luxurious for the circumstances.”

Huntsman and his friends are not first time “residents” of Boeheimburg. They camped out for the UConn game two years ago and the Georgetown game last year.  However, due to all of the publicity and anticipation surrounding today’s game, this year’s campout was the longest for their group.  

On Friday morning, the campers were rewarded for their support when the coaching staff of the men’s basketball team came to show their appreciation for the dedication these students have exhibited.  Assistant coaches Gerry McNamara, Adrian Autry and Mike Hopkins teamed up with Otto to hand out donuts and coffee to the frozen fans.  Oh and did we mention that Boeheim himself paid a visit? Junior student Carly Raimo said, “The coaching staff was so gracious and thankful for our dedication. They braved the cold to hand out Dunkin Donuts and take pictures with us giddy fans. It is awesome that they continue to acknowledge our fanhood!” 

*Check out this video of the coaches’ visit to Boeheimburg to hear what they have to say about the support from these fans: 

And the question that you are all wondering: Are these students crazy? Is it really worth it?

“Completely” says Isaac Huntsman. “Nothing is better than cheering on the best basketball program in the nation with five thousand of your closest friends.  Sleeping in a tent for days, and standing in line for hours becomes worth it as Welcome to the Jungle plays the 35,000 people start clapping.  Once in a lifetime experience.” 

Anthony Caporizzo agrees saying, “Absolutely, this will be one of those experiences you can look back on and say that you camped out for the Duke game.  When people start talking about the first Cuse/Duke ACC matchup I can say I camped out and sat in the fourth row of the game.”

Let’s just hope all these amazing fans get to witness a big win tomorrow from their rightfully earned seats to make this campout even more worthwhile!