Anthony Salatino: An artistic visionary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

SU drama students and professional Broadway actors can come together and bring the house down.

That’s what Anthony Salatino proved to the Syracuse community in the Syracuse Stage production of “Rent,” which he directed and choreographed. The production of this iconic musical blended students and professionals for a show that riveted, captivated, moved and inspired the audience. While it is hard to put on a bad showing of “Rent,” the direction must ensure cohesion among the cast, as the entire show thrives on the relationships the characters have with one another. Jonathan Larson gave “Rent” all the tools it needed to be a success: engaging characters, ridiculously catchy numbers, a plot that is both devastatingly emotional and pure fun. But each production must have the energy and chemistry to do the story justice.

Salatino took actors and actresses with varying degrees of skill and experience and brought them all together to relate the story of hope, loss, and life that is “Rent.” The cast sang with passion, danced with conviction and pulled the audience into its story, bringing everyone in the room along with them on their battles with AIDS, love and life. The pain on Roger’s face as he distanced himself from Mimi, the sensuality of Mimi’s dance moves, the tortured-artist lifestyle of Mark – all these feelings powered the play, building an emotional foundation upon which the cast danced, sang, laughed and cried their way to a truly moving production.

Salatino has had some practice with theater. He is a drama and musical theater professor and graduated from The Julliard School. He is no stranger to the Syracuse Stage – he directed West Side Story, Peter Pan, and The Sound of Music. He also choreographed Oliver, The Wizard Of Oz, Big River, Christmas Carol, American Song, Amadeus, Romeo and Juliet, and Godspell. He also directed and choreographed productions at various other stages and wrote plays of his own. Salatino’s talent should not be overlooked!

Elora likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain...but only warm rain, and especially rain that's packaged in summer thunderstorms! The sophomore magazine journalism and English major is an assistant feature copy editor for SU's independent student newspaper, the Daily Orange, and is a contributing writer for GALA Magazine. She is also a brother in the community service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega. Elora has country music on her iTunes for every possible mood and she will never turn down a Dave Matthews Band concert, a trip to Panera Bread or a pickup soccer game. Although she's not sure exactly what she wants to do after graduation, she hopes to use writing to make a difference in someone's world.