neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 6 Best Post-Breakup Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

Heartbreak is one of the worst feelings we have to go through at our age. We often feel rejected, confused, and lonely after a break up. Sometimes the best therapy for getting through the emotional rollercoaster I like to call “post-breakup bipolar disorder” is to grab a giant bottle of cheap wine (or two) with your best girlfriends, let out a good cry, and then have a movie marathon. Many girls will tend to go straight for The Notebook, The Titanic, The Vow, or other movies in the Romance/Drama genres, but not you, collegiettes! You know better than to wallow over someone else’s made up fantasy romance, and if you don’t, you certainly will once you read what movies you SHOULD be watching after a breakup.

1. Legally Blonde. Regardless of whether you share my appreciation for the “blonde power” theme of the movie or not, this is the perfect post-breakup movie. Elle is suddenly dumped by who she thought was the love of her life, but in the process of trying to get him back, she ultimately turns her life into something so much more meaningful and realizes how much he never deserved her!

2. Les Misérables. Everyone in the movie definitely has something more tragic than a breakup going on in their lives. Eponine’s song “On My Own” is sad, but it’s about her realizing she is never going to be with Marius, and she accepts that. Sing along with her, it will feel good. Take this time to try accepting that you’re probably not going to be with your recent ex again, and that’s okay. Maybe it’s just me, but something about the fact that Cosette and Marius only knew each other for five minutes made their romance seem completely ridiculous for me, and therefore, comical. Not to mention, the rebel scenes are totally inspirational.

3. Black Swan. This may seem like an odd choice, but it is 100% appropriate. Nina loses her grip with reality, goes completely insane, and dies…over a part in a ballet show. Just look at how good you’re doing by comparison! You’ve lost love, and you haven’t done anything NEARLY as crazy as she did! Pat yourself on the back for that one.

4. Silver Linings Playbook. Both of the main characters lost love and somewhere along the way, their sanity as well. Even in the midst of the dark storm cloud they call life, they somehow manage to find the “silver lining” and, in the end, new love. This movie is a great option because it doesn’t focus on the romance aspect as much as the characters odd and funny behaviors and journeys through their issues. Once again, props to you for keeping your cool throughout your heartbreak rollercoaster.

5. Shawshank Redemption. This one is a little more on the serious side. Ladies, I know you probably feel like your world is collapsing around you, but this movie will really put things into perspective. Andy, the main character, is sentenced to a lifetime in Shawshank Prison for a crime he did not commit. Yes, you’ve been dumped, but at least you have your freedom, girl. One of the best lines in the movie from Andy: “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.” Andy never lost hope, and eventually he finds the light at the end of the tunnel, just like you will.

6. Mulan. A list of movies is never complete without something Disney-related. Mulan proves to a whole country that not only can women do anything men can do, but we can do it better and with style. Sure, Mulan could have just gone along with the other girls to the matchmaker to find a husband, but instead, she followed her heart and fought for what she believed in to protect her family and country. Only after achieving great things (in our case a great career) did she find her true love.

Hopefully you will feel a little better after watching a few of these great and unexpected post-break up movies. Remember that time heals all wounds, you are beautiful, and he’s probably an idiot anyway! Xoxo

SU cheerleader obsessed with coffee, fashion, and fitness!