This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

So in case you haven’t heard of Gloria Steinem, she a feminist icon is best known for being an activist, journalist, and overall amazing person. Instead of singularly championing “white feminism,” Steinem strives to establish inclusivity in the modern feminist movement. Basically, as a young feminist, her advice and wisdom have been invaluable to me. So that’s why I was shocked when a recent interview with Steinem wasn’t being widely publicized. On October 8th, 2020, The Late Late Show with James Corden uploaded a snippet from the broadcast which included Corden interviewing Steinem over a video chat. Their conversation was casual and relaxed, but I thought Corden did an excellent job asking questions about Steinem’s current work and business associations. In case you don’t have time to watch the entire interview, which is linked here, here are some of the highlights.

men holding up a banner for women's equality
Photo by Samantha Sophia on Unsplash

First off, Corden politely asked how Steinem was, specifically how quarantine was affecting her life. Steinem talked about moving to Los Angeles to quarantine there. This was a great segway into Steinem explaining how she befriended Meghan Markle while she was in quarantine. If that wasn’t exciting enough, Corden revealed that Steinem and Markle spent time together calling prospective voters!

20th Century Fox Television / Giphy

Steinem is humble and sincere about her friendship with Markle, but Corden was like the rest of us, excitedly fangirling over this dynamic duo teaming up! Yes, Steinem clarified that she and Markle did make several phone calls to random people encouraging them to vote in the 2020 election. This part of the interview wasn’t surprising, as Steinem has stated several times on record that she feels very passionate about this year’s presidential election.

HCM Design

The focus of the interview was when Corden asked Steinem about Amy Coney Barrett and her possible rise to the Supreme Court. Corden’s question to Steinem was: “If you had the opportunity to speak to her now, what would you say?” Steinem gave what I thought to be a well-reasoned and considerate answer: “You have the right to be there [the Supreme Court].” However, Steinem then used historical examples to cite the reasons why people may choose to rebel against a Supreme Court nominee. Steinem’s use of a Martin Luther King Jr. quote was amazing! The message was clear: if a judge doesn’t rule in favor of a population’s best interests, Steinem will not support them.

Marchers and counter protesters at the March for Life
Photo by Maria Oswalt from Unsplash
Corden then went on to talk about how “worried” and fearful Americans are right now about the future of democracy. Steinem offered some wise words on feeling this helpless: “Just do whatever we can every day…Nothing could possibly be more important than voting.” Additionally, Steinem spoke about the effort that goes into trying to change someone’s already decided opinion, saying that it takes less energy to try and convince someone. Instead, people with like-minded opinions concerning social justice should band together, kind of like safety in numbers. After I watched this interview, I found myself feeling a little more hopeful about the future knowing that women like Steinem are out there fighting for justice and women’s rights.

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

I'm part time yoga teacher and a full time reader. I never miss an opportunity to listen to audiobooks on a car ride, or to read ebooks during breaks in my classes. I'm a senior at Susquehanna University where my major is creative writing with a minor in women and gender studies.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University