The Woman’s Perspective on Millennial Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Like most other woman my age, I constantly think about my love life.  In the age of social media and Tinder I wonder if the odds are even less in our favor. To get other opinions, I interviewed three SU students to get their take on millennial dating on campus.

Q: What’s your dating life like?

Woman A: Nonexistent, I am more focused on school at the moment. I don’t have time to worry about it because I am very busy with extracurriculars and work.

Woman B: I have been in a serious relationship for almost four years.

Woman C: Forever alone.

Q: What have your experiences with dating been like in the past?

Woman A: Its never gone past the “getting to know you” stage. Because a) I didn’t like the person or b) it just didn’t seem like it would work out. It was usually just me, to be completely honest.

Woman B: I’ve only seriously dated one guy, my current boyfriend. I’ve been in the “talking” stage with about two or three other boys. But that life is not for me.

Woman C: I’m not really experienced when it comes to relationships. I’ve been involved with two or three guys but it was nothing serious.

Q: What are some of the main challenges you think millennials face when it comes to dating?

Woman A: I believe millennials use the term ‘love’ too loosely. People don’t take the time to get to know one another they just jump right in. So once they’re involved with someone the person’s true colors start to show.

Woman B: “…” I really don’t know. I think that there aren’t a lot of healthy relationships to look up to so people don’t have much to base their relationships off of.

Woman C: I think our generation isn’t clear on what dating is. Some people assume dating means you’re in a relationship, while other view dating as something casual. A lot of the time things don’t work out because people are not clear on what exactly it is that they want. The miscommunication leads to lies and hurt feelings.

Q: How do you think social media factors into this? What do you think about Tinder?

Woman A: It definitely plays a big part. I think Tinder works for some people and it doesn’t for others.

Woman B: When I think about social media and dating I think about Catfish. That’s becoming a big thing, people meet online and then suddenly they are in a relationship. But sometimes those relationships are iffy.

Woman C: I think social media adds pressure to dating. People always worry about being “Instagram official” and I think that concept scares some people. I think Tinder works for some people, it depends on what you’re looking for. But I do know people in serious relationships that met on Tinder. But I also know people that use it just for sex.

Q: How would you describe the dating scene at SU?

Woman A: I think its OK, I know girls that are in relationships right now. But they’re usually broken up by the end of the semester and then get in a new relationship before the next one. There are some people who date outside of campus, and some who don’t date at all so there’s a mixture of different levels of dating on campus.

Woman B: Disgusting. Friends date friend’s exes, most people just want to hit and quit and then approach their friends.

Woman C: I feel like with us being on campus, a lot of people just want to hook up. There’s this double standard that if someone hooks up with you than they aren’t worthy of a relationship. Most guys here just want to play the field. Since it’s such a small campus everyone knows your business and whose been with who.

Q:  Do you have hope for your dating life?

Woman A: Of course. I just think it’s going to take a lot of time because I have high standards. I don’t like wasting my time so I must be able to see a future with the person.

Woman B: I am really happy in my relationship right now. We really have a strong bond, he’s my best friend. I know were young but I am hoping that it’ll only get better from here.

Woman C: I honestly don’t know. I want to find someone special that I have a bond with but I don’t think that will happen in college. At this point of my life, my main focus is on my future, not some boy that probably isn’t even worth my time.

Hanifah Jones is a Junior Communications Major with a minor in Studio Art currently studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.