This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

No, I’m not here to argue with you. I understand that your opinion may be different from mine. I’m just here to share my thoughts. Country music is my favorite music genre because I grew up listening to it. On a road trip, no matter how much my mother hated it, that’s the station that was always on the radio. Where I live, the channel is 96.1, or Cat Country 96. On all of our cars, it’s the #1 button on the radio, because it’s all that my family and I listen to. Why do I think it’s superior? Good question, because I’m about to tell you!

Country music is superior because it can relate to a variety of personalities. Yes, some of the music talks about sex and alcohol. I understand that this is not ideal for children, but when you look at some other songs, you’ll understand. A lot of country songs are about love and happiness. For example, “Greatest Love Story” by LANCO makes anyone who hears it think about the love of their life. Another example is “Speechless” by Dan & Shay. This song talks about a woman walking down the stairs to her soon-to-be husband in her beautiful wedding dress. These songs bring joy and happiness to most people, not just your typical “country” people. I’m not here to bash other genres, but wouldn’t you rather be able to hear what the artist is singing about, rather than hear random words about girls and alcohol when the artist of a rap song takes a breath? 

I also understand that certain people think that country is too “twangy,” as some of my family members would say about some of the songs. Don’t let that fool you, they like most country music! I can see why people may not like the music because of how it sounds, but if you listen to the words, I’m sure you’ll fall in love with them. Since day one, I’ve been in love with the genre and will continue to blast it during every road trip I go on!

Hi! I'm Kaitlyn! I am a psychology major at Susquehanna University.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University