ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why do People Like Vampires?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Recently, I started watching True Blood again. And as I’ve been watching the stupid Sookie Stackhouse fawn over every vampire she comes in contact with, it’s made me start to wonder why people like the idea of vampires, in the pop culture fiction world and the real world.

It makes sense that Sookie would, at first, be captivated by vampires. They’re the only human-esque beings that she can’t read the minds of, and that is definitely a relief. However, if she would actually work on keeping her mental shields up, I guarantee that listening to peoples’ thoughts would not be a problem. She just doesn’t feel like putting the work in.

Bella from Twilight only shows interest in Edward because she’s a hormonal teenage girl, and he’s the first ‘hot’ guy to notice her existence and not give up because of her frosty attitude. However, their relationship is incredibly toxic and pretty gross, and I think she just wanted to rebel like all teenagers do by making the dumbest decision of her life. Just saying.Now, in the real world, these examples mean basically nothing. Vampires aren’t real, or at least, they haven’t come out of the shadows if they are. If we ignore the possible pressure pop culture puts on us to enjoy vampire-related things, then there’s only one real reason that anyone likes the idea of vampires. The idea of immortality. Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty sure vampires were created because human beings are scared of their own mortality.

Think about it. As a species, we’ve been trying to find/discover/create the elixir of life since the Dark Ages, and probably even before that. I think it’s completely fascinating, even if it’s also highly improbable.

I don’t really have a point here, except that vampires don’t exist. This means you only have one lifetime to make your own. This isn’t necessarily a call for y’all to do whatever you want, but at the same time, live your life the way you want to. Don’t let anyone tell you what you can’t do, even if it feels like you really can’t.

Senior Publishing and Editing and Philosophy double major.