This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As someone who has had acne since I was eleven, I’ve tried my share of methods to get rid of it. After all of my teenage years with stubborn acne, blackheads, and redness, I have learned different tips in managing it.

The first important step is to know your skin type. Products will have varying results according to the user’s skin type. People have either normal, sensitive, dry, oily, or combination skin.

Make sure to wash your face at least twice a day with a cleanser. It will remove the day or night’s oils, dirt, makeup, and dust and make skin feel refreshed. This is the most essential part of a routine to work towards clear skin. Acne and blackheads form when sebum (the dirt and oils) is trapped in pores beneath the skin’s surface and emerge when it is oxidized. Cleansers and washing your face will decrease the chance dirt can sit on your face for too long.

Avoid facial scrubs and products with the chemical sodium laureth sulfate or strong fragrances. These are ingredients that actually can be very harsh and irritating to the skin. Scrubs tend to do more harm than good, so it is not a good idea to use them daily. If you still want to use scrubs, doing it once in a while is better and still up to the consumer.

Toners and serums are nice to add to a routine because they help restore skin’s natural balance. Toner brings skin to a normal pH level, and also removes remaining makeup and dirt. Serums have different benefits they offer for the skin. There are serums that can help alleviate redness, with topical antioxidants and vitamins, and with anti-aging properties. Moisturizer is also important to keep skin hydrated.

There is a misconception I was surprised about: hot water opens pores and cold water closes them turns out to be just a myth. Warm water is better at cleaning and more comfortable.

Kara Boub is a first year student at Susquehanna University, with a major in creative writing. She loves spending her free time (if any) reading and watching YouTube videos.
Writers are contributing from Susquehanna University